- 2015 Federal Election
Developer keeps project on the books
He may have pulled his proposal out of the official community plan (OCP) process, but Qualicum Beach developer Zweitse de Wit is by no means pulling the plug.
In an interview Friday, de Wit said he still wants to go ahead with the project, which he says would include 100 to 200 units of housing at Berwick and Fern.
“The project is completely intact,” he said. “It is still to be reviewed once the OCP process is completed.”
De Wit said he originally asked that the project — which lies outside the urban containment boundary and inside the Agricultural Land Reserve — be included in the official community plan discussions because he needed an amendment to the OCP in order to move it forward. However, he said the move turned out to be redundant.
“We are in the middle of the process and, once we get the wording in the OCP document, we may not even need to amend the OCP,” he said.
De Wit made the comments after being approached by several people at Thursday night’s OCP meeting who thought the project had been cancelled altogether.
“There was some confusion,” he said. “A number of people thought the project was off, although the article was quite clear.”
De Wit said he plans to hold an open house for his project on Wednesday and Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 760 Berwick Road South. For more information call 250-752-1125.