Group hopes it can resurrect Candy Walk in Coombs
A group of former Candy Walkers are hoping to bring back a popular event.
The Coombs Halloween Candy Walk was cancelled last year due to lack of volunteers. This year, three local women, who all attended the Walk as toddlers and beyond, are organizing a meeting and looking for help from the community.
Jennah Stavroff said she knows a child who had a “crying meltdown” when he heard there was no Candy Walk happening last year.
“I imagine there were kids across the community who felt the same way,” she said.
The event provides a safe central location for kids and parents, Stavroff said, adding that it’s not fair to shortchange kids because adult life is so busy these days. And, with the likely closing of French Creek Community School, it’s a way to keep the community and the kids connected, she said.
The Candy Walk drew many children from around the region to walk down a themed walkway filled with decorations, complete with characters handing out candy. The event also included a haunted house, cake walk, food concession and fireworks at the Coombs Fairgrounds in the past.
Stavroff said she and her fellow candy walkers, Jennifer Stahley and Sarah Caruso Roth, are hoping to keep the core events and are open to whatever people may want to spearhead like entertainment, a talent show etc.
If enough people in the community can step up to help, the show will go on. The group has planned a public meeting on Friday, Feb. 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Coombs Fairgrounds. There they hope to confirm support for the event in the community, identify three people to help organize throughout the year and get contact information for those willing to help out with the set up and tear-down the week of the event.
For more information email email@example.com.