Region contracts out for dog collection

With the SPCA out of the dog catching business, RDN turns to another service, but where it operates varies

Upon finding a stray dog in the electoral areas, it may prove to be a bit of a conundrum as to who to call.

“It depends on the electoral area but in just about every case the SPCA is the first point of contact there,” said Jack Eubank, bylaw enforcement officer for District 69.

However, it depends on the situation, he said.

If it’s an animal protection issue and the dog is at risk or injured, he clarified, call the SPCA.

Otherwise residents should call Coastal Animal Control Services (CACS) , contracted out by the Regional District of Nanaimo.

If there’s a dog “romping around” and a neighbour confines it, they may call CACS to come pick it up, unless living in Electoral Area F, where that service is not offered.

“In Electoral Area F the only service that is provided is response to vicious dog complaints,” he said.

Alternatively, if anyone in an electoral area finds a lost dog, they may bring it into their yard, phone the bylaw enforcement office in Parksville, and they may be able to identify the dog from their tag, said secretary for bylaw enforcement Michelle Sparks. The owner can then be notified to come pick up the dog.

In any case, stray dog calls are very rare in the electoral areas, said Eubanks.

To call Coastal Animal Control Services call 250-754-1397 or 1-888-754-1397, to contact the Parksville SPCA 250-248-3811 and to to talk to a local bylaw enforcement officer call 1-888-754-1397.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Community Events, February 2017

Add an Event