News

One person suffers burns in candle-caused fire

The cause of a fire at a home on Beach Avenue in Qualicum Beach last week has been revealed.

The fire, which was fully involved when firefighters arrived, took place at about 1 a.m. on Jan. 15, and resulted in one resident taken to hospital.

Deputy Fire Chief Peter Cornell said the fire, located on the second storey of the residence, was started by a candle which had been left burning and which ignited either a pillow or blanket which accidentally came into contact with it.

“Fire damage was contained to the one unit, but there was smoke and water damage to the rest of the building,” Cornell said. “The occupant of that unit taken to hospital and released the next day with minor burns.”

Firefighters were able to contain the fire within half an hour, but Cornell said they remained on scene for about four hours, doing salvage.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

A first for B.C. as chief joins Regional District of Nanaimo board as an alternate
 
Arson suspected in house fire at waterfront home near Parksville
 
Target to close all stores in Canada, including 19 in B.C.
BEAUTIFUL YOU: Spring style: what you need now
 
Hippie science is easy, and wrong
 
ICBC blocking record 25,000 drivers for Port Mann toll evasion
Couple learns to cope with PTSD
 
Improvements coming to town core
 
Wrestling tradition continues

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.