- BC Games
Fireworks off limits
Halloween night hasn’t been as hectic for the Parksville Fire Department ever since the city’s firework ban has been in effect.
Deputy Fire Chief Marc Norris said in the past they have had structure fires resulting from fireworks and there has been a tragic death due to explosives by a youth, but now such incidents are rare.
He said their Fire Prevention Officer has been speaking to Grade 7 students making sure the message gets out about the danger of fireworks.
Tyrone Heigh has been taking the Youths and Explosives Program to local schools stressing the point that young people shouldn’t mess with the stuff.
Norris admitted that weather plays a factor on Halloween night and they have fewer incidents when it rains.