- 2015 Federal Election
Youngster was not attacked near Qualicum Bay resort
An apparent tall tale told by a young girl caused quite a stir in Qualicum Bay on Friday, at a resort and in social media.
Hans Stussi, the owner of Qualicum Bay Resort, told The NEWS an 11-year-old girl came back from a walk and reported to her parents — the family was staying at the resort — that she had been attacked by a man.
Police were immediately called and Stussi said five police cars, an RCMP canine unit, an ambulance and a fire truck quickly responded to the scene.
"The whole park was obviously in a commotion, kids afraid," said Stussi.
The park owner said police re-interviewed the child later in the day and determined the story was false. Police did not issue an official new release about the incident, but an RCMP member did confirm for The NEWS on Monday morning the allegations put forward by the girl were false.
Stussi said he, and everyone in the resort and community, took the original allegations seriously. He also said there was something for all to learn from this incident.
"It's a good lesson for parents and a good teaching point for everyone on how kids can make stories up," said the resort owner. "And how that can harm a business and a community."