The bylaw amendment for a 22-lot subdivision at 560/570 Laburnum Rd. was adopted by Qualicum Beach town council Monday. — NEWS file photo

Laburnum proposal in Qualicum Beach closer to being developed

Bylaw amendment was adopted, Coun. Barry Avis opposed

A high-profile piece of land on Laburnum Road is one step closer to being developed

Qualicum Beach town council approved a long-running bylaw amendment for 560/570 Laburnum Rd. at Monday’s (June 19) council meeting.

Only Coun. Barry Avis, who also asked for a recorded vote, opposed the bylaw amendment. Coun. Anne Skipsey, who has been vocal about her dislike of the location for the development, was not at the meeting.

The proposed development at 560/570 Laburnum Rd. would amend the zoning in the Official Community Plan (OCP) to permit a 22-lot subdivision. Six of those lots would be duplexable units. Secondary suites would also be permitted.

The property is divided into six parcels; 2.9 ha would be donated to the town for conservation purposes, 2.3 ha is proposed to stay as Rural Residential with two existing houses, and 2.4 ha is proposed for the 22-lot subdivision.

CAO Daniel Sailland said the proponent has fulfilled everything requested of them in terms of direction from council, including a provision of storm water management, groundwater impact plan and the registration of two covenants; one for form and character and one for green building standards.

Coun. Neil Horner said this development is an “excellent compromise” that saves and enhances the wetland while also creating family-friendly housing near Qualicum Beach Elementary School.

“Let’s be clear, if we reject this, the pressure to develop this property will not go away. Rejecting it will only kick the can down the road to the next council,” Horner said.

Development proposals on this property have come to council numerous times over the years.

The contentious development proposal has been on the agenda at council a handful of times over the last year. In October 2016, the project was originally moved to first reading as a 10-unit residential development, with two larger lots for existing homes, a wetland area to be donated to the town for conservation purposes and a park area with a 10-metre green buffer adjacent to Laburnum Road. This was after council shot down an earlier 60-unit development proposal and a follow-up application for 30 units.

Just Posted

Drunk driver ticketed after wrong-way rollover

Nanaimo man crashes on Inland Island Highway near Qualicum Beach

Car fire on Hwy. 19 near Nanoose slowing traffic

Fire has been put out, and the car has been removed

Bowser woman recovering from stabbing wounds

Police arrest 22-year-old male suspect in Nov. 14 incident

SOS marks 50 years of Christmas giving in Parksville Qualicum Beach

Society to mark golden anniversary with series of events in 2018

Homeless society unveils community care mobile in Parksville

Health care items, advice to be dispensed from RV

VIDEO: Clay throwing demonstration

Local potter giving demos during annual sale

‘I will now live in consistent fear’: Allan Schoenborn granted escorted leaves

The Merritt man was deemed not criminally responsible in the killing of his three children in 2008

Hammy the deer dodges conservation officers in Prince Rupert

The famous Prince Rupert hammock deer maintains his purple threads

‘No shirt, no service, no Canada’

Shirtless Tacoma man arrested after Canadian border officials say they found meth in rental vehicle

Nasty note on B.C. windshield sparks online outrage

Vernon’s Bailey McDonald is using a painful experience to start conversation about invisible illness

Port Alberni resident robbed with weapon, thieves steal thousands

Most of the stolen currency is in Canadian $100 bills. The police investigation is ongoing.

Federal funding to combat guns, gangs and opioid crisis

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said illicit drugs are often main cause of guns, gangs violence

Riverview youth mental health centre proceeds

Replacement for Maples Treatment Centre first announced in March

Dead boy’s father posts Facebook response after Appeal Court upholds conviction

David, Collet Stephan were found guilty in their son Ezekiel’s 2012 death from bacterial meningitis

Most Read