- 2015 Federal Election
School closures are going to happen but no one asks about the impact it will have on employees.
These people are not just workers in our community but also our neighbours and friends. Why is no one asking:
1. What impact will these closures have on administrators? Does fewer school mean fewer principals and vice-principals?
2. Middle schools offer specialty programs such as band, woodwork, art, librarians and home economics. Will these programs continue in the newly created elementary schools? What impact will this have on these teachers?
3. Currently, there are elementary and middle school counselors employed in our schools. What happens to these teachers?
4. What will happen to CUPE employees such as custodians, secretaries, teacher aides, bus drivers and those working on grounds and building maintenance? Does fewer schools mean fewer CUPE employees?
5. Doesn't fewer employees in our schools mean fewer employees at the school district office?
6. What impact will these changes in school staffing have on our children?
7. What impact will these changes in school staffing have on our community as a whole?
A building is just a building. It is the people working is these buildings that make it a school.