- BC Games
Oceanside track strong in bad conditions
Thirty-five brave youngsters from the Oceanside Track and Field Club “battled gale force winds and sideways rain,” in Sidney recently to kickstart their 2013 season with a great showing at the George Dean Memorial meet.
“This was the first meet for new athletes in the club to get their feet wet, quite literally,” OTFC coach Kim Longmuir explained after, adding that “despite the nasty weather, team members turned in some outstanding performances, with twenty-three athletes achieving top three performances.
“We were really proud of the kids,” said Longmuir, explaining “a lot of our older athletes did not compete at that meet and so it was mostly our junior development and our new athletes some of who were competing in their first meet.
“For a small group it was a really, really good showing, especially in light of the conditions. The weather was absolutely horrific, there were tents flying. It was really an ugly day so the fact they did anything was amazing.”
Next up for the team is the Bob Dailey Meet in Port Alberni, May 4-5 with many of the OTFC athletes, who are also part of the Ballenas track and field team, gearing up for the North Island High School Championships in Powell River, May 1.
“We’re hoping for some sunshine,” chuckled Longmuir.
For more on Oceanside Track & Field (new members always welcome) contact Kim or Randy at 250-248-8515 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTFC results at George Dean:
• Makayla Hoey: 1st in 100m, 1st in 200m hurdles, 1st in high jump
• Ethan Smith: 1st in 100m, 1st in high jump
• Noah Elliott: 1st in 300m, 1st in discus, 1st in hammer, 2nd in javelin
• Olivia Williams: 1st in 600m, 2nd in long jump, 2nd in discus, 3rd in high jump, 3rd in 100m
• Serena Woolnough: 1st in shot put, 1st in hammer, 2nd in discus
• Alena Woolnough: 1st in discus, 2nd in shot put
• Libby Elliott: 2nd in javelin, 2nd in hammer, 3rd in shot put
• Miryam Bassett: 1st in 800m
• Samara Paine: 2nd in long jump, 3rd in 100m
• Taylor Sayah: 2nd in race walk
• Nicole Hague: 2nd in 200m
• Joanna Waite: 2nd in 60m hurdles
• Rhiannon Terpstra: 2nd in 80m hurdles
• Amanda Greenshields: 3rd in long jump
• Jessie Waite: 1st in shot put
• Felix Richter: 2nd in 100m
• Jacob Lillywhite: 1st in 300m, 2nd in 2000m
• Nathaniel Abel: 2nd in 1000m
• Yosef Bassett: 1st in hammer, 2nd in 1200m
• Avi Bassett: 3rd in discus
• Dalton Austin: 2nd in hammer
• Colson Schneider: 1st in 800m
• Kai Stillwell: 3rd in 200m