M & N Mattress Shop in Parksville won Retail Business of the Year at the 19th annual Grant Thornton LLP Vancouver Island Business Excellence Awards.
The gala was hosted at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre in Nanaimo on Jan. 24.
There were 85 finalists for the annual celebration of the best of the best in Island business, and 17 different categories.
“Every year there are some amazing success stories that are told at this event,” notes Mark MacDonald of Business Examiner, which coordinates the event. “There is a lot of hard working business people who have put everything they have into their companies, and it’s great to have an evening to celebrate their efforts.”
Mazzei Electric of Nanaimo and Victoria was named Business of the Year for over 50 employees.
All other category winners are:
• Automotive: Cowichan Auto Repair of Duncan.
• Brewery: Twin City Brewing of Port Alberni.
• Construction/ Development/Real Estate: Tectonica of Nanaimo.
• Entrepreneur: McTavish Academy of Art of Saanich.
• Food & Food Production: Urban Bee Honey Farm of Victoria.
• Green: J. Zsiros Contracting of Courtenay.
• Health Care: Bayshore Home Health of Saanich.
• Hospitality: Crystal Cove Beach Resort of Tofino.
• Manufacturer: VMAC Air of Nanaimo.
• Professional: Waymark Architecture of Victoria.
• Retail: M & N Mattress of Parksville.
• Technology: Trich Analytics of Victoria.
• Tourism: Surf Sister Surf School of Victoria.
• Trades: Westcom Plumbing & Gas of Sooke.
• Wood Products: D&H Woodworks of Sooke.
• Small Business: VI Creature Teachers of Campbell River.
Black Press was a platinum medium sponsor of the BE Awards.