The 15th Annual Vancouver Island Real Estate Board Commercial Building Awards were held at the Tigh Na Mara Seaside Spa and Resort in Parksville on April 28.
Among the structures honoured in the Retail Category in the Awards of Merit was Quality Foods of Parksville, owned by Kelland Properties and built by general contractor Windley Contracting Ltd.
Malahat Skywalk was the Judges’ Choice, Best Overall winner. The spectacular structure overlooking southern Vancouver Island from the peak of the Malahat portion on the Trans-Canada Highway, also won the Award of Excellence in the Tourism category. The owner of the property on Malahat First Nation land is Malahat Skywalk Corp., and it was built by Kinsol Timber Systems.
Island West Coast Developments (IWCD) of Nanaimo had three of their projects win Awards of Excellence: Maitland Street Village of Port Alberni in Affordable Housing, European Specialty Automotive of Nanaimo in Automotive, and Garry Oak Park in Industrial.
Gold Sponsors of the Awards are MNP LLP, Knappett Projects Inc. and Coastal Community Credit Union. Category sponsors are RBC Royal Bank, RE/MAX Commercial, NAI Commercial, Herold Engineering, Waypoint Insurance, Canadian Western Bank, Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Yellow Sheet Review. Black Press is the media sponsor.
Commercial, industrial and revenue-producing projects, including renovations, from the Malahat to Port Hardy were up for these awards, and were completed between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2021.
Award of Excellence Winners:
• Affordable Housing (Sponsored by Coastal Community Credit Union) – Maitland Street Village of Port Alberni. Owner: Alberni Low Energy Housing Society. General Contractor: IWCD.
• Automotive (Sponsored by Herold Engineering and Yellow Sheet Construction Data & Analytics) – European Specialty Automotive of Nanaimo. Owner: Caleb Hartman. General Contractor: IWCD.
• Community Institutional (Sponsored by MNP LLP) – NRGH Thermal Energy Centre of Nanaimo. Owner: Island Health. General Contractor: Kinetic Construction Ltd.
• Hospitality (Sponsored by Waypoint Insurance) – Tree Houses At Middle Beach Lodge of Tofino. Owner: Middle Beach Lodge. General Contractor: AFC Industries Ltd.
• Industrial (Sponsored by BDC) – Garry Oak Park of Nanaimo. Owner: Nanaimo Industrial Space Ltd. General Contractor: IWCD.
• Multi-Family Condominium (Sponsored by RBC Royal Bank) – Parq Shore of Campbell River. Owner/General Contractor: Crowne Pacific Development Corp.
• Multi-Family Townhouse (Sponsored by NAI Commercial) – Raincoast Commons of Ucluelet. Owner/General Contractor: Clayoquot Construction.
• Office (Sponsored by Knappett Projects Inc.) – Colville Medical Centre of Nanaimo. Owner/General Contractor: R.W. (Bob) Wall Contracting Ltd.
• Renovation (Sponsored by Canadian Western Bank) – The Riverbend Café and General Store of Port Alberni. Owner: The Riverbend Café. General Contractor: Aylott Construction.
• Retail (Sponsored by RE/MAX Commercial) – Berkey’s Corner of Duncan. Owner: Forum. General Contractor: Dawson Wallace Construction Ltd.
• Tourism (Sponsored by Black Press) – Malahat Skywalk of the Malahat.
Award of Merit Winners:
• Affordable Housing – 10 Buttertubs of Nanaimo. Owner: Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society. General Contractor: Windley Contracting Ltd.
• Community Institutional – Queen Margaret’s School of Duncan. Owner: Queen Margaret’s School. General Contractor: Knappett Projects Inc.; Cumberland Fire Hall. Owner: Village of Cumberland. General Contractor: MKM Projects Ltd. and Qwalayu House of Campbell River. Owner: Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island. General Contractor: WestUrban Developments.
• Hospitality – CHIMS Guest House Phase II of Port Alberni. Owner: CHIMS Guest House. General Contractor: Naomi Nicholson.
• Multi-Family Townhouse – Kerrisdale Corner of Nanaimo. Owner: Esprit Developments. General Contractor: Boehm Construction Ltd.
• Renovation – Nucii Building C of Port Alberni. Owner: Uchucklesaht Tribe Government. General Contractor: Tectonica Management Inc.
• Retail – Quality Foods of Parksville. Owner: Kelland Properties. General Contractor: Windley Contracting Ltd.
— NEWS Staff, submitted