With days growing longer, flowers blooming and birds chirping, it feels as though spring is upon us. While many take this time to tidy their physical spaces, Pharmasave Parksville suggests directing things inwards, focusing on “spring cleaning” for our health.
Beyond practicing healthy habits already developed during the heart health, smart sleep and hydration challenges, this month’s Health Hive Challenge prompts participants to shake some of winter’s unhealthy habits, and detox those most important environments: mind and body.
Taking Aim at Toxins
The term “toxin” typically refers to pollutants, syntactic chemicals, heavy metals and processed foods that we’ve either ingested or been exposed to, and that negatively impact well-being and overall health.
Our body’s sophisticated approach to eliminating toxins involves the liver, kidneys, digestive system, skin and lungs, however only when these organs are healthy can they effectively eliminate all unwanted substances.
Although many regimens and detox programs are available, Natural Health Consultant Cindy Walker finds the best detox cleanse is one that nourishes your mind and body, rather than resorting to deprivation or restriction.
“The key to optimizing our body’s natural detoxification systems is practicing lifestyle habits that promote relaxation and sleep, while reducing our exposure to toxins,” Cindy says.
This month’s Spring Cleaning Health Hive Challenge:
1. Limit alcohol, sugar and processed foods/drinks – High consumption of alcohol, sugary and processed foods/drinks contributes to brain fog, mood disorders, diabetes, high blood pressure, fatty liver disease and other illnesses.
More than 80 per cent of alcohol and processed foods/drinks are metabolized in the liver, which, when working in overdrive, can’t function adequately enough to perform necessary tasks, including filtering waste and other toxins.
“Plan ahead,” Cindy suggests. “It’s important to maintain a healthy selection of whole food items in your cupboards and in your fridge. Remove temptation by preparing nourishing meals ahead and maybe giving your kitchen cupboards a ‘spring clean’ of processed foods.”
2. Focus on Sleep and Practice Stress Relievers – Adequate and quality sleep is a must to support the body’s health and natural detoxification system. Sleep allows our brain to recharge, and gives our body the rest to rid itself of waste byproducts accumulated throughout the day.
Creating a calming evening environment and incorporating natural stress relievers like yoga, meditation and essential oils are a few of Cindy’s favourite ways to relieve tension and stress to prepare for a restful night’s sleep.
3. Load Up on H2O! – Regulating body temperature, lubricating joints and aiding in digestion, nutrient absorption and detoxification, water is nature’s most effective health tonic. Focus on daily water intake and balancing electrolytes to flush toxins and maintain a healthy digestive system.
4. Get Outdoors – Regular exercise is proven to elevate mood (hello, endorphins!) and reduce the risk of many health conditions and disease. While several mechanisms are behind the health benefits of being active, reduced inflammation is key.
5. Be Good to the Guts – It’s important to maintain gut health, as it’s connected to so many other health areas, including helping your detoxification system work at its best.
Consider taking a digestive enzyme to aid in digestion and restore micro-organism balance in the gut. Pre- and probiotics are also helpful.
Food for thought
Among Cindy’s top recommendations for natural detox foods to incorporate into your diet, are onions, broccoli, garlic, lemon, bone broth, green tea, lemon, berries, beets, nuts and seeds.
While preparing those awesome ingredients, trade in the salt shaker and reach for herbs and spices instead. Flavourful seasonings like cumin, basil, parsley and paprika provide a host of powerful health benefits and enhance food flavour.
To further reduce exposure to harmful ingredients and toxins outside, choose natural body care products, Cindy suggests. Up your spring cleaning with a free consultation with the Natural Health team to see which detox supplements may be right for you!
Sign up to the challenge today!
Anyone can join Pharmasave Parksville’s Health Hive community at any time. Share the link to the registration form on the Natural Health page and encourage friends and family to join you in your journey toward optimal health.
And don’t forget to like and follow on Facebook for supplement spotlights, giveaways, service announcements and more, and to visit their new e-Commerce platform to shop a selection of health products, home care items, vitamins and more – all from the comfort of home!