Art Skipsey will be recognized for his lifetime of service to the Town of Qualicum Beach at the chamber of commerce’s community awards night on Wed., Feb 15.
Skipsey, a former town mayor forged vital partnerships between local government and volunteer organizations to provide important infrastructure and recreational legacies, including the purchase of the Memorial golf course and the adoption of the first community plan. He has, to this day, been very involved in various community events and programs.
His Coastal Community Credit Union Lifetime Achievement Award will come at the Community Awards gala celebration at the Qualicum Beach Civic Centre, starting at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are available by calling 250-752-0960.
Also on the agenda are awards for citizen of the year, new business of the year, outstanding customer service, business of the year and volunteer of the year
On the theme of business, the evening’s keynote speaker will be Ken Schley, one of the founders of Quality Foods and winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010.
The nominees are:
New Business of the Year, Sponsored by RE/MAX Anchor Realty:
• Courtyard Café, Hot N Cool Yoga Club and Naked Naturals Whole Foods Ltd.
Outstanding Customer Service, Sponsored by Black & White Party Rentals:
• Emily Dunsmore of The Source, Lorna Jorgenson of Second Avenue Clearance and Michelle Brown at Carlson Wagonlit Oceanside Travel.
Business of the Year, Sponsored by Rodway and Perry:
• Dolly’s Home Hardware, Faye’s Gifts and Memorial Compounding Medicine Centre.
Volunteer of the Year, Sponsored by the SOS:
• Donna Cortis, Gary Statham and Vivian Samson.
2011 Citizen of the Year, Sponsored by Qualicum Foods:
• Joyce Beaton, Judy Southern and Lynette Kershaw.