It’s back to school time and for many families, balancing packed schedules and activities can make creating healthy lunches a challenge.
The Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) provides some ideas and tips to make it easier for parents to keep mealtimes healthier:
• Get colourful and create a food rainbow at every meal with selections from all four food groups of Canada’s Food Guide.
• Try limiting the amount of processed food and stick with whole food at meals.
• Even in the winter months when there are fewer fresh options, frozen or canned vegetables and fruit are great alternatives to keep meals nutritious.
• Homemade lunches and snacks can save money as compared to the pre-packaged alternatives. Involve your kids in preparing lunches and to help with meal ideas.
• Instead of including a favorite “junk” food as a snack, incorporate a healthy alternative.
• Use containers in lunches with separate compartments so dips, veggies, fruit, cheese and crackers can stay separate and fresh for lunchtime.