Regional District of Nanaimo bylaw enforcement officers will provide assistance making sure that provincial public health orders are being followed.
The enforcement assistance was established by the Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General when they issued Ministerial Order No. M082 on March 25.
To provide a consistent approach throughout the province, the province has clarified bylaw enforcement officer roles:
· To assist with the compliance and enforcement of public health orders.
· Bylaw enforcement officers are not authorized to detain an individual because of a contravention or suspected contravention of a public health order.
· Bylaw Enforcement Officers are not authorized to exercise any authority to issue a fine or penalty.
· Enforcement will be directed by the Provincial Health Officer and/or Island Health.
In Electoral Areas, RDN bylaw enforcement officers will continue to:
· Monitor community facilities and areas closed to the public;
· Remind residents that playgrounds, sports courts and skate parks are closed; and
· Remind residents of the critical need to ensure physical distance.
To report potential infractions of quarantine or self-isolation orders, contact Island Health at: VIslandHealth.Info@viha.ca
To report a provincial health infraction (food premises, including restaurants, mobiles, and grocery stores as well as personal service establishments and pools), contact Island Health at:
· Parksville: HPES.Parksville@viha.ca or 250-947-8222
· Nanaimo: HPES.Nanaimo@viha.ca or 250-755-6215
To report a municipal issue (gatherings at community facilities such as community halls, museums, places of worship, tourist enterprises, recreational facilities and private property), contact RDN bylaw services:
· Online: cv.rdn.bc.ca; or call 250-390-6559
NEWS Staff, submitted