Starting June 1, the public will be allowed to attend City of Parksville council meetings.
Council meetings were closed to the public in March due to COVID-19.
Although the city is now welcoming the public to attend open council and committee meetings they’re still urging people not to show up in person and opt to listen to the meetings from the city’s website, either livestreamed or video archive.
Strict measures will be in place to meet health and safety regulations pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic. Security staff will be on site to ensure compliance with these regulations.
Those attending council meetings should take note of the following important regulations:
• Only 35 members of the public will be permitted in the Parksville Civic and Technology Centre at any time.
• Please respect safety protocols – wash/sanitize hands thoroughly and often, cover your cough or sneeze, limit your time if others are waiting and stay home if sick. Hand sanitizer stations are available.
• Exterior building doors will be locked and the public will be admitted by security staff through the front door on Jensen Avenue only.
• Traffic flow in the building and in the council chambers (Forum) will be one way; all members of the public must follow directional signage posted on walls and/or floors.
• Loitering in city facilities is not permitted.
• Public washrooms are not available.
• Council chambers may have some seating available, subject to physical distancing and space limitations.
• Speakers will be asked to line up in accordance with physical distancing and will be called to the microphone by the Mayor at the appropriate time. Speakers should not to touch the microphone.
• Once council has been addressed, exit will be according to the one-way traffic flow.
• If space permits, those who have addressed council may return to the chambers and be seated to listen to the remaining speakers and council discussion.
• Members of the public may choose to wear protective equipment such as masks and gloves, however, this equipment is not provided by the city.
Agendas are posted to the website on the Thursday prior to the Monday council meeting. Residents are welcome to send comments related to agenda items to firstname.lastname@example.org and if residents wish to have their comments included in the public record, comments must be received by noon on the day of the council meeting. Please include a full name and address for the comment to be included in the minutes.
— NEWS Staff, submitted