With Berwick Parksville welcoming home new residents in the spring-summer months of 2022, now is a great time to start preparing for this next adventure by doing some decluttering… but where should you start?
“The first step is to create a clear plan, request the floor plan of your new space and get ready to have some fun,” says Karen Flannery of Transitions Made Simple, a professional downsizing, relocation and estate Liquidation Company.
Top tips from a professional downsizer:
- Set yourself up for success. Start with a small first step, maybe a drawer or two.
- Remember you can’t take everything. Take only the items that evoke good feelings and memories. When offering items to friends or family do not be disheartened if they don’t have the room to welcome your offering.
- It’s more fun when you have support. Whether a friend, family member or professional support. The process of downsizing is easier then you may think.
Professional downsizers can do as much or as little as you’d like. They can help you decide what to take to your new home, create floor plans to help you visualize what furniture will fit, manage movers, stage your home, and look after all the things you no longer need.
Berwick residents have done the hard work of downsizing, and most have never looked back! Here’s their shared advice from personal experiences:
- Accept that you’re moving to a new and less complicated phase of life. Reflect on your years of enjoyment with books, furniture and other things you’ll have to let go of. Then, if possible, pass them on to younger folks who will appreciate them.
- Make a list of ‘absolutes’ you want to take with you. Envision where you’ll put everything in your new home (using a floor plan if possible), and don’t plan on using storage — you likely won’t need the things you put there.
- Don’t assume your kids or grandkids will want your stuff. If they don’t want anything, don’t take offense. They’re from a different generation and may have different taste, or not enough room.
- Look forward to your move, and feel the sense of accomplishment in planning for it. Giving away things is sometimes hard, but good memories last forever!
Your adventure awaits
Berwick Parksville is opening in Spring 2022, so now is a great time to get started on downsizing! If you have questions about the community or want references for professional downsizers and movers in the Parksville area, reach out to Corinna Ludovici, Community Relations Manager for Berwick Parksville. Reach Corinna at 250-937-0989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To discover more about this all-inclusive, stress-free community, residents’ suites and upcoming information sessions, register at berwickparksville.com.