If Doug Banks has one Christmas wish, it’s that he is able to enjoy his Christmas morning with his family without being called out to deal with a fire this year.
The Parksville fire Chief needs help from homeowners to help that dream come true.
Banks said residents should use common sense in order to avoid the need to call the fire department.
“Don’t overload your circuits,” he said. “I remember we had one fire at 4 a.m. Christmas morning because there was an overloaded circuit. It tends to ruin your Christmas.”
Chimney fires, he said, used to be the most likely cause of Christmas tragedy, but this threat has eased as fewer homes utilize wood stoves. However, fireplace safety remains important.
“We have had chimney fires on Christmas morning,” he said. “Everybody takes the wrapping paper and throws it in the fire and the next thing you know we have a chimney fire.”
Banks also noted that anyone with a real Christmas tree should make sure it has plenty of water while it’s on display, to avoid having it dry out.
“When they’re dry they go up real good,” he said.