B.C. to work with emergency alert operator after test fails to reach all

Not everyone with a compatible phone that was on an LTE network received the alert

The B.C. government says it will work with the company in charges of the new emergency alert system in case of natural disasters, after Wednesday’s test failed to reach many.

British Columbians were supposed to receive an alert message and sound on their cellphones, radio and TV at 1:55 p.m. that day. Many took to social media to post pictures and videos of the alerts, while many others, either with different cellphone providers or brands of phone, did not.

READ MORE: B.C. gives mixed reviews on alert system test

Some compatible phones that were on LTE networks did not receive the alert, the province said Thursday, similar to what happened during the tests in Quebec and Ontario earlier this week.

“Next steps will include addressing outstanding issues before the official launch of the expanded alert ready system in June,” the province said.

Officials from each province will meet with Pelmorex, the company that manages the Alert Ready system, in the weeks ahead to discuss technical issues and determine how best to address them.


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Regional District of Nanaimo board will be almost all new

Only 3-4 directors out of 19 returning to RDN board table

Senior Whalers duke it out but suffer loss

Ballenas need to win last two games to make it to the playoffs

Paper delivery may be late in some areas Oct. 25

Please note delivery of the PQB News may be late in some… Continue reading

RDN gets three new faces for Area F, G and H

Salter, Gourlay and McLean take most votes for Regional District of Nanaimo directors

Surprise start to arts career for newly-arrived Qualicum Beach painter

From factory worker to commercial artist to teacher

B.C. sailor surprised by humpback whale playing under her boat

Jodi Klahm-Kozicki said the experience was ‘magical’ near Denman Island

VIDEO: Fire destroys historic small-town B.C. restaurant

Two people were injured as fire ripped through the Hedley restaurant around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday

B.C. town’s mayoral race a tie, come down to luck of the draw

Harry Gough led incumbent Cindy Fortin by one vote on election night Saturday

Outdoor retailer MEC vows to boost diversity after online complaint

Mountain Equipment Co-op was criticized for perpetuating a white-only picture of the outdoors

Trump vilifies caravan, says he’ll cut Central American aid

Despite Mexican efforts to stop them at the Guatemala-Mexico border, about 5,000 Central American migrants resumed their advance toward the U.S. border Sunday in southern Mexico.

Federal carbon tax rebates will exceed the cost for most people affected

Officials say 70 per cent of people in those provinces will get back more than they end up paying out as fuel costs rise to incorporate the carbon tax.

Rotating strike in Toronto will have ‘significant impact,’ says Canada Post

Canada Post union announces rotating strikes in four Canadian cities.

Cancelling Saudi Arabia arms deal would cost $1 billion: Trudeau

Canada has added its voice to global calls for answers, with Trudeau telling the CBC in an interview today that the Saudi government’s explanation of what happened lacks credibility.

Former B.C. sheriff caught in sex-related sting pleads guilty to lesser charge

Kevin Johnston will be sentenced on Nov. 6 for his role in communicating online with a person posing as a 14-year-old girl.

Most Read