Citadel Middle School. (Google Maps)

Citadel Middle School. (Google Maps)

Boy, 13, arrested after alleged assault involving girl at B.C. middle school

Boy alleged to have used ‘inappropriate levels of force’ to injure the girl

A 13-year-old boy from Maple Ridge has been arrested after an alleged assault involving four boys and one girl at a Port Coquitlam middle school.

The incident happened on Jan. 10 at around 3:15 p.m. at Citadel Middle School, RCMP said in a news release Tuesday.

Investigators believe that a verbal confrontation between four boys and one girl escalated when the girl allegedly used a low level of physical force, police said. The 13-year-old allegedly responded with an “inappropriate level of force” that injured the girl, police said.

The boy was arrested and released on conditions to appear in court at a later date. Mounties said they have suggested one count of assault and one count of uttering threats to the B.C. Prosecution Service.

Police did not release the boy’s name because he is a minor and has not been formally charged.

Mounties also asked the public to avoid jumping to conclusions, especially online.

ALSO READ: B.C. teacher suspended for poking student in stomach, pulling another’s ponytail

“There are allegations appearing on social media that directly contradict the video evidence, witness statements, and established facts of this investigation,” said Cpl. Michael McLaughlin in the release.

“There has been a lot of anger directed to the school and police. We want to assure everyone that our first priority is to continually assess the risk and make sure that everyone involved is safe.”

More evidence needs to be gathered and evaluated, he added, and charges are possible against another youth involved.

On Monday, the alleged victim’s mother posted a detailed account of what happened. The post had been shared more than 2,500 times on Facebook as of Tuesday afternoon. Black Press Media is not publishing any names that could identify the people involved in the incident.

According to the mother, her 14-year-old daughter was at the school to pick up her younger sisters, ages 11 and 6, when a group of boys started following them, yelling profanities and sexual comments.

“The boys started walking right behind the girls and one boy walked side-by-side with my oldest daughter, and because of the slippery sidewalks, she slipped on some snow,” the post reads. “When she slipped, she bumped into his shoulder and then he called her a b****.”

She said her daughter and a 13-year-old boy got into a pushing match, which escalated, and that her daughter was punched in the face until she “blacked out.”

She said one of the other boys was filming the encounter, that her daughter told her that nearby parents didn’t intervene.

“My child’s face was covered in blood and swollen and I could not tell the extent of her injuries. It was the most terrifying moment of my life,” the mom said.

She said her 11-year-old daughter has been too scared to go back and claimed that the school has not suspended or disciplined the alleged attackers.

Black Press Media has contacted the mother for further comment. The RCMP said it could not confirm any of these details and that the investigation is ongoing.

READ MORE: ‘Weird, creepy, inappropriate’ short films ends in suspension for B.C. teacher

In a statement on Twitter, Port Coquitlam Mayor Brad West said he has reached out to the mother since learning of the incident, as well as RCMP and senior leadership with School District 43.

“We all have a responsibility to demonstrate respect and inclusion and be good role models for our children,” he said. “That’s what has made Port Coquitlam a diverse and welcoming community.”

School board chair Kerri Palmer Isaak told Black Press Media the board would not comment on an ongoing police investigation, nor individual students, but that it has been in contact with the school and RCMP.

“At the moment, the most emergent issue is with the families involved and helping the families in that school,” she said.

Ken Hoff, spokesperson for School District 43 said in an emailed statement that the district is aware of the incident and “takes this matter very seriously and is addressing the situation.” He said due to the ongoing police investigation, the school district would not be providing any further comment.

Black Press Media has reached out to the school principal for comment.

@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Construction of a roundabout in Qualicum Beach has started. (Town of Qualicum Beach photo)
Construction of new roundabout in Qualicum Beach has begun

Traffic detours in effect to keep workers safe

Tree clearing and grubbing will take place March 8 for the French Creek Water Pollution Control Centre upgrade and expansion project. (PQB News file photo)
Work scheduled for March 8 as part of $48.5M French Creek Pollution Control Centre expansion project

Resident questions Regional District of Nanaimo regarding lack of activity to date

A man receives his COVID-19 vaccine. (CP file photo)
COVID-19: Vaccination site in Parksville Community Centre to start March 15

Approximately 60,000 Parksville Qualicum Beach residents to be vaccinated

(File photo)
RCMP act quickly in response to report of gun-toting man in Parksville

43-year-old man taken into custody; students at nearby schools were asked to stay inside

(Google maps photo)
COVID-19: Case confirmed at École Oceanside Elementary School in Parksville

Dates of exposure were Thursday, Feb. 25 and Friday, Feb. 26

Health Minister Adrian Dix looks on as Dr. Bonnie Henry pauses for a moment as she gives her daily media briefing regarding COVID-19 for British Columbia in Victoria, B.C. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
7 additional deaths and 542 new COVID-19 cases in B.C.

Provincial health officials reported 18 new COVID-19 cases linked to variants of concern

Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson (Office of the Chief Justice)
Judge questions whether B.C.’s top doctor appreciated right to religious freedom

Lawyer for province says Dr. Henry has outlined the reasons for her orders publicly

The City of Duncan will implement a new pilot project targeting vandalism this spring. (File photo)
Graffiti trouble? Duncan will give you the brush and the paint to remove it

Initiative based on a successful project to protect Port Alberni from unwanted spray paint

A sample of guns seized at the Pacific Highway border crossing from the U.S. into B.C. in 2014. Guns smuggled from the U.S. are used in criminal activity, often associated with drug gangs. (Canada Border Service Agency)
B.C. moves to seize vehicles transporting illegal firearms

Bill bans sale of imitation or BB guns to young people

BC Housing minister David Eby is concerned that Penticton council’s decision to close a local homeless shelter will result in a “tent city” similar to this one in Everett, Wa. (Olivia Vanni / Black Press file)
‘Disappointed and baffled’ B.C. housing minister warns of tent city in Penticton

Penticton council’s decision to close a local homeless shelter could create tent city, says David Eby

This was the scene outside North Saanich’s Parkland Secondary School after an attempted but unsuccessful break-and-enter into the school torched an ATM inside of it. Sidney/North Saanich RCMP did not make any arrests and currently lack suspects as the investigation continues. Members of the public who may have witnessed something or possess other information can contact police at (250) 656-3931 or to Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. (Submitted)
Money to burn: burglars torch North Saanich high school ATM

Police dogs searched the exterior and interior of the school after early morning break-and-enter

A recently published study out of UBC has found a link between life satisfaction levels and overall health. (Pixabay)
Satisfied with life? It’s likely you’re healthier for it: UBC study

UBC psychologists have found those more satisfied with their life have a 26% reduced risk of dying

A vial of some of the first 500,000 of the two million AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses that Canada has secured through a deal with the Serum Institute of India in partnership with Verity Pharma at a facility in Milton, Ont., on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Carlos Osorio - POOL
Federal panel recommends 4-month gap between COVID vaccine doses due to limited supply

The recommendation applies to all COVID-19 vaccines currently approved in Canada

t
Province invests $2M in three Vancouver Island food hubs

Hub network provides shared-use processing facilities to small agri-businesses

Most Read