Garage sales are popular in Parksville Qualicum Beach during the summer months.
The City of Parksville has been receiving a host of queries about the possibility of holding garage sales now that the province is in Phase 2 of COVID-19 recovery plans.
Although there are no specific restrictions against garage sales taking place, Island Health has some guidance for those wishing to host a garage sale as it is considered an event and the mass gathering order would apply:
• No more than 50 people, including the host(s), can be in attendance at one time.
• Maintain physical distance of two metres at all times; even in any lineups that may form.
• Limit the number of persons in the sale area so physical distancing can be maintained.
• Setup the sale outside instead of inside the garage.
• Increase sanitation of high-touch surfaces.
• Host should encourage people not to touch items unless they are ready to buy it; disinfect any items that are touched and not purchased.
• Increase hand hygiene; hand wash or hand sanitizer after transactions.
• Use of gloves is an option for those handling money; encourage money be left on table and step away, likewise if providing change.
• Do not host a garage sale if feeling sick or unwell and have a sign asking people to stay away if feeling sick.
• Ensure the event, including queuing off the premises, does not block pedestrians or prevent passers by from maintaining a two-metre distance from attendees.
— NEWS Staff, submitted