Parksville city council is once again ready to decide which non-profit organizations in the Parksville area will receive a grant for COVID-related expenses.
In February this year, council established a one-time COVID Relief Grant-in-Aid program of $280,000, for non-profit groups located in Parksville or that serve Parksville residents.
The grant will reimburse COVID-related expense incurred since March 2020, for costs such as obtaining Personal Protective Equipment, costs related to maintaining enhanced cleaning and sanitization, costs to adapt programming or services during the pandemic and for any other COVID-related losses in regular revenue due to the inability to hold annual and ongoing fundraising events.
For the first round in June, council approved 11 of 15 applicants.
As this is the second round for the program, the budgeted amount is now $149,000.
On Monday, Dec. 6, council voted to establish a select committee to make recommendations on which applicants to approve and their respective amounts.
For the second intake, the following organizations have applied:
• Forward House Community Society – $14,000
• Mid-Island Pensioners and Hobbyists Association – $10,000
• Oceanside Community Arts Council – $23,475
• Oceanside Community Church – $12,000
• Oceanside Hospice Society – $15,000
• Parksville and District Historical Society – $49,944
• Parksville Pastoral Charge (Knox United Church) – $30,000
• Parksville Seniors Activity and Drop In Centre – $26,857
• Broombusters Invasive Plant Society – $450
The totalled amount of grants applied rests at $181,726.