Since a COVID-19 exposure at Kwalikum Secondary School was announced on Nov. 23, no other exposures or outbreaks have been recorded for School District 69 (Qualicum).
Dr. Keven Elder, superintendent of SD69, confirmed that KSS has been operating normally since “a couple days after” the reported exposure last month.
“There was a small drop in attendance for two or three days,” said Elder in an email. “But people continue to trust the safety protocols.”
He said that as of Friday, Dec. 4, the school exposure notice was archived by the Vancouver Island Health Authority, and that SD69 continues to be exposure or outbreak free as of Wednesday, Dec. 9.
According to the Island Health website, four schools on Vancouver Island had experienced an exposure since the beginning of December, all in Nanaimo. As per their website, public health will work with schools and school districts to ensure anyone who may have been in close contact during an exposure or outbreak are notified directly and provided specific guidance.