Crypto-scare not warranted in Parksville

Expert says there is a lot of misinformation on social media about cryptococcus

Despite rumours on local social media sites, there is no evidence of a local fungus affecting more animals recently.

Cryptococcus gattii was first discovered in a local park in 1999 and has since spread to much of the east coast of Vancouver Island, and has been seen in the Lower Mainland and Washington State, according to the B.C. Centre for Disease Control (CDC).

“In the 15 years since it was found in Rathtrevor I have probably seen eight cases,” said Dr. Jeff Grognet with the Mid-Isle Veterinary Hospital in Qualicum Beach.

He said it is evenly split between cats and dogs and while it tends to infect immune-suppressed people, there doesn’t seem to be any pattern in animals, with some being “healthy strapping young animals.”

He said he sees an average of one case every couple years, and joked that since he had one last year, he won’t see one this year.

The fungus, present in trees and soil across the region, is transmitted by inhaling spores from dead vegetation. According to the CDC, it infects 10-25 people a year in B.C. In 2014, the latest year numbers are available, 17 human infections were reported, including eight on the Island, with 16 per cent of infected people historically dying from it, or related complications.

The experts stress that it is not contagious, cannot be transmitted between humans, or from animals to humans. It is not preventable, there is no vaccine, but there is an easy blood test for it, and antifungal medication helps treat it.

The symptoms are similar in humans and animals, often taking many months to show up. They include a prolonged cough, shortness of breath, headache, vomiting, fever and weight loss.

Grognet said the most notable symptom in animals is nasal discharge and sneezing.

He stressed that the infection is rare and not a reason to avoid forested areas, which he often hears in the community amongst a lot of mis-information.

In fact, he points out that some infected animals, including some indoor cats, had no exposure to forested areas.

His best advice for people who don’t want to get cryptococcus: “don’t run through the forest licking the trees and holding your breath.”

Just Posted

Annual pickleball tournament fills up quickly

Two-day event to take place indoors at Oceanside Place May 24-25

Lighthouse Country bus tour to focus on area’s tourism destinations

Business assocation wants more tourists to come to the area

Flock of spinners holding fleece and fibre fair in Coombs

Annual event raises money for Bradley Centre, supports local producers and vendors

BC Ferries CEO, president speaks to Parksville and Qualicum Beach chambers

Guest asks about Vancouver Island resident discount fares

VIDEO: After the floods, comes the cleanup as Grand Forks rebuilds

Business owners in downtown wonder how long it will take for things to go back to normal

B.C. dad pens letter urging overhaul of youth health laws after son’s fatal overdose

The Infants Act currently states children under 19 years old may consent to medical treatment on own

Singh sides with B.C. in hornet’s nest of pipeline politics for the NDP

Singh had called for a more thorough environmental review process on the proposal

Construction crane tips over at Nanaimo work site

Incident happened Wednesday morning at Turner Road and Uplands Drive

30 C in B.C., 30 cm of snow expected for eastern Canada

It might be hot in B.C., but the rest of Canada still dealing with cold

Horgan defends fight to both retain and restrict Alberta oil imports

Alberta says pipeline bottlenecks are kneecapping the industry, costing millions of dollars a day

B.C. Transit shows off NextRide bus technology

New technology allows for real-time tracking, to be rolled out through early 2019

Police release video on how to ‘run, hide, fight’ if there’s an active shooter

Vancouver police offer video with input from E-Comm, BC EHS, Vancouver Fire and Rescue

RCMP caution boaters after two kids pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning

Both children were given oxygen and taken to hospital

Most Read