Election fever is in the air with colourful campaign signs dotting Parksville Qualicum Beach.
With just 21 days to go until the federal election, The NEWS has compiled a list of all-candidate forums in the Courtenay-Alberni riding.
Officially registered candidates whose name will be on the ballot Oct. 19 are: John Duncan (Conservative), Glenn Sollitt (Green), Carrie Powell-Davidson (Liberal), Gord Johns (NDP) and Barbara Biley (Marxist-Leninist).
• Tonight (Tuesday, Sept. 29) the Port Alberni Chamber of Commerce and Port Alberni District Labour Council are hosting a public forum at the Italian Centre from 7-9 p.m. The moderator will be former Port Alberni city councillor Cindy Solda. Organizers said the candidates from the major parties (Conservative, Green, Liberal and NDP) have confirmed attendance. On Saturday Marxist-Leninist candidate Barbra Biley said she was not invited but intends on contacting organizers and attending the forum. The Italian Centre is located at 4065 Sixth Avenue, Port Alberni.
• On Friday, Oct. 2 Knox United Church will host an all-candidates forum in Parksville from 7-9 p.m. Knox has a 320-seat capacity. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The forum will be moderated by MaryEllen Campbell, who has prepared questions in advance but will also open the forum to the floor to take written questions (pens and paper will be provided). Candidates from the Conservative, Green, Liberal and NDP have confirmed they will attend. Marxist-Leninist Biley said she was not invited but intends on contacting organizers and attending the forum. The debate is open to the public. Knox United Church is located at 345 Pym Street.
• On Monday, Oct.5 the Comox Valley Record and Comox Valley Chamber of Commerce will host an all candidates forum at the Sid Williams Theatre in Courtenay from 6-8 p.m. It will be moderated by Chamber of Commerce chair Andrew Gower and it is open to the public. They will be taking questions in advance of the forum which can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All five federal candidates have confirmed they will attend. The Sid Williams Theatre is located at 442 Cliffe Avenue in Courtenay.
• Scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 6 a group known as We, The Voters is organizing a debate at the Courtenay Legion Hall from 6-8 p.m. The event is called #NotYourAverageDebateNight and according to its poster it is specifically targeting voters who are 18-30 years old, however it is open to people of all ages and is a public event. We, The Voters did not respond to The NEWS by press time to confirm which candidates will be attending.
• Wednesday, Oct. 7 the Ucluelet Chamber of Commerce is hosting an all candidates forum at the Ucluelet Community Centre (UCC) from 7-9 p.m. Conservative, Green, Liberal and NDP candidates confirmed they will attend the forum. Organizers said questions are currently being solicited and will be given to the candidates in advance of the forum. The UCC is located at 500 Matterson Drive, Ucluelet.
• On Thursday, Oct. 8 the Tofino Chamber of Commerce is hosting a public forum at the Tofino Community Hall from 7-9 p.m. The four candidates from the major parties have confirmed they will be attending.
• Finally, on Tuesday, Oct. 13 Kwalikum Secondary School will host an all candidates forum kicking off at 1:45 p.m. for the KSS student body in the school’s multi purpose room. The school will subsequently hold a student vote Oct. 16. Conservative, Green, Liberal and NDP candidates confirmed they will attend. Marxist-Leninist candidate Biley said she has not been invited, but intends to contact organizers and attending the forum. For more information contact Kati Worthen at 250-752-5651 ext. 115.