After one of the longest campaigns in recent Canadian history, voters go to the polls Monday to choose our 42nd parliament.
The polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. this Monday, Oct. 19 with eight voting locations in the Parksville Qualicum Beach region.
The final list of official candidates are Barbara Biley (Marxist-Leninist), John Duncan (Conservative), Gord Johns (NDP), Carrie Powell-Davidson (Liberal) and Glenn Sollitt (Green).
To vote you need to be registered and have either government ID with your photo (Driver’s licence or provincial ID) or two other forms of ID like a passport, library card or credit card statement as long as one has your current address.
Elections Canada says it may be helpful to bring the voter card you should have received in the mail, but it is not required and is not enough to vote.
The Elections Canada office at #6-160 Corfield, beside Thrifty Foods, can help with enquiries. If you are not already registered to vote you can do so at the poll.
For more information try www.elections.ca or 1-800-463-6868, including a place to enter your postal code to find your polling station, likely the closest from the following list:
• Nanoose Place (2925 Northwest Bay Rd.).
• Parksville Community and Conference Centre (132 Jensen Ave. E.).
• Parksville Fellowship Baptist Church (550 Pym St.).
• St. Columba Presbyterian Church (921 Wembley Rd., French Creek).
• The Bradley Centre (975 Shearme Rd., Errington).
• Christian Fellowship Centre (825 Village Way, Qualicum Beach).
• Qualicum Beach Civic Centre (747 Jones St.).
• Lighthouse Community Hall (240 Lions Way, Qualicum Bay).