Fire destroys RV near Qualicum Beach

Fire believed to have been started by an overheated electrical cord

An RV was consumed by fire Wednesday morning near Qualicum Beach.

QUALICUM BEACH -Two Dashwood residents are lucky to be alive after the recreational vehicle they lived in at the Riverside Resort caught fire Wednesday afternoon.

Dashwood Fire Department Chief Nick Acciavatti  said firefighters received a call about an RV on fire at 1:13 p.m. and 12 firefighters, two engines and a rescue truck from both his hall and Qualicum Beach were at the scene within seven minutes. However, when they arrived they found the RV fully ablaze.

“Both the occupants got out,” Acciavatti said. “They were lucky they had working smoke detectors so they could get out.”

Although they were personally unhurt, the two people living in the unit lost their pet cat, along with all their personal belongings.

Initial investigations seem to implicate an electrical problem as the cause of the fire.

“We’re looking at an electrical overload with extension cords,” Acciavatti said.

He noted this would not be the first time an overloaded electrical cord has been implicated in a fire at the same resort.

“It’s a trend we’re seeing and it’s not a good one,” he said. “This is not the first time we had a fire from an overloaded extension cord. Two years ago there was a space heater that overloaded.”

He noted the Dashwood Fire Department has distributed electrical safety pamphlets at the park.

He said it’s crucial for people to make sure the draw of power going through a cord matches the cord’s capacity.

“The appliance they are plugging the cord into has to match the cord,” he said. “If you have a 15-amp space heater plugged into an 11 amp extension cord, it isn’t going to work properly.”

Sometimes, he noted, people coil the power cords underneath furniture to keep it out of the way, making even more likely to overheat, melt and cause a fire.

He said the incident stands as a warning to others.

“It’s a good message to get out to the public, to have working smoke detectors and not to overload their electrical cords,” he said.

news@pqbnews.com

 

 

 

Just Posted

Coombs farm auction returns April 28

CFI hosts 41st annual auction

Ballenas grad to perform opera and art songs in Parksville to fund Prague trip

UBC music student Juliana Cook was asked to study and sing in the Czech Republic

Qualicum Beach versus Parksville – who wins?

Councils could take part in first-ever lawn bowling challenge

Ravensong Waterdancers to get you in sync

Teams will perform 12 routines at watershow on April 28

Soccer Whalers trip 49ers 1-0 in high school clash

Ballenas now prepares for North Island championships

‘No answers:’ Canadians react to Sri Lanka bombings that killed hundreds

The co-ordinated bomb attacks killed at least 207 people and injured 450 more on Easter Sunday

RCMP confirm witnesses say body found at Kelowna’s Gyro Beach

Police tape is blocking part of the beach and several RCMP officers are on scene.

B.C. fire department rescues kittens

Enderby homeowner not aware kittens in wood pile near garbage pile fire that got out of hand

Party with extreme views on immigration running on Vancouver Island

Opposing candidate says National Citizens Alliance’s participation ‘highly problematic’

QUIZ: How much do you know about Easter?

Take this short quiz and put your knowledge to the test

B.C. VIEWS: NDP’s lawyer show is turning into a horror movie

Court actions pile up over pipelines, car insurance, care aides

Global Affairs warns Canadians in Sri Lanka there could be more attacks

A series of bomb blasts killed at least 207 people and injured hundreds more

Waste not: Kootenay brewery leftovers feed the local food chain

Spent grains from the Trail Beer Refinery are donated to local farmers and growers, none go to waste

Most Read