Fire in Qualicum Beach serves as good reminder

An aluminum pot left on the stove is believed to be the cause of the fire in Qualicum Beach on Saturday

  • Apr. 30, 2013 11:00 a.m.

On Saturday, April 27 the Qualicum Beach Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Valdez Avenue in Qualicum Beach.

The fire began in the kitchen and was brought under control by the first department apparatus on scene, containing the fire to the room of origin.

Fire crews used fans to remove the smoke from the house and checked for possible fire extension in the attic space above the kitchen.

An aluminum pot left on the stove is believed to be the cause of the fire, which quickly spread to the kitchen cupboards from a dish cloth near the stove. Damage is estimated at about 10,000.

The Qualicum Beach Volunteer Fire Department would like to remind residents to be careful when using electrical appliances. Stoves should never be left unattended while in use and extra special attention should be paid to pots made of aluminum as they are more likely to reach their melting point over other pots such as stainless steel.

— Submitted by Town of

Qualicum Beach

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image