Qualicum Beach council has decided that the remaining garbage collection services performed by the Town of Qualicum Beach will end on June 1. — NEWS File photo

Garbage collection by the Town of Qualicum Beach to end June 1

Council goes with staff recommendation to axe patchwork service

What started as a request to create a commercial garbage user fee ended in garbage collection by the Town of Qualicum Beach ending altogether.

During a Feb. 4 meeting, Qualicum Beach council passed a recommendation that “staff advise commercial and multi-residential properties who are receiving garbage collection from the Town of Qualicum Beach, that the service will no longer be provided as of June, 2019.”

The recommendation comes out of a memorandum from town COO Dennis Trudeau that breaks down the town’s existing garbage collection service.

The memo was created after three motions from a March 19, 2018 council meeting. One motion was for the Town of Qualicum Beach to continue to provide garbage collection. Another was for staff to come up with a user fee system for commercial garbage users. Currently, commercial properties receive the service for free.

The third was to complete negotiations with the Regional District of Nanaimo, opting into the RDN’s bylaw providing for the collection of garbage materials for single-family residential properties in Qualicum Beach.

That new service began on July 3 of 2018, with garbage, recycling and green bin material all being collected by the RDN’s independent contractor.

The change has actually brought down rates for the service.

However, Trudeau notes that fees for multi-unit residential properties that use the town’s garbage collection are likely inaccurate, and commercial establishments that still use town garbage service get it for free. However, the practice has been that, once the town-owned bins used by a commercial establishment are worn out, the establishment must arrange for private garbage collection.

More commercial and multi-unit residential establishments are now going with private contractors. The town is only equipped for garbage pickup, while private contractors can often handle recycling and compost as well.

In his memo, Trudeau notes two options to make the service fair: offer the service to all commercial and multi-residential properties in town and establish a user fee; or end the service completely.

Trudeau said he believed the town would be unable to compete with private waste collection contractors when it comes to service fees.

Staff’s recommendation was to cease service after a period of four months, having notified users. Coun. Teunis Westbroek suggested the town could work with affected users, and perhaps even continue service for a month after the deadline if the users had not succeeded in finding a contractor.

While the mayor and council members voiced support for that option, Coun. Adam Walker suggested that affected users be contacted before the decision is made.

Town CAO Daniel Sailland said the only problem with waiting to make the decision was with the town’s aging garbage collection vehicles.

“Our mechanics have informed us that the sooner we make a decision, the better.”

A motion to notify users that the service would end on June 1 passed.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Illegal waste-dumping spikes in Regional District of Nanaimo during 2019

Last year the RDN collected 74 tonnes last year

Iconic white raven returns to Parksville Qualicum Beach area

Photographer John Domovich: ‘It blew me away when I first observed it’

Parksville’s Summer by the Sea event starts June 30

‘We are looking forward to providing a vibrant market’

Qualicum Beach man arrested over racist incident at Tseshaht First Nation

Port Alberni RCMP said the man turned himself in

VIDEO: B.C. dentist gets grand welcome home after two months in hospital fighting COVID-19

Michael Chow was given a surprise send off by hospital staff and ‘welcome home’ from neighbours

‘Like finding a needle in a haystack’: Ancient arrowhead discovered near Williams Lake

The artifact is believed to be from the Nesikip period between 7,500 BP to 6,000 BP

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Indigenous families say their loved ones’ deaths in custody are part of pattern

Nora Martin joins other Indigenous families in calling for a significant shift in policing

Friends, family mourn Salt Spring Island woman killed in suspected murder-suicide

A GoFundMe campaign has been launched for Jennifer Quesnel’s three sons

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Indigenous chief alleges RCMP beat him during arrest that began over expired licence plate

Athabasca Chipewyan Chief Allan Adam calling for independent investigation

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

UPDATED: Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park arrested

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

Most Read