Courthouse in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file)

Nanaimo man guilty of child porn, sex assault charges gets six years in jail

Offender ordered to have no contact with complainant during sentence, says B.C. Prosecution Service

After previously pleading guilty to child pornography and sexual assault charges in B.C. Supreme Court, a Nanaimo man has been sentenced to six years in jail.

The 42-year-old man was arrested in 2017 and in February pleaded guilty to sexual assault, making child pornography and possessing child pornography. The News Bulletin has chosen not to publish the man’s name in order to protect the privacy of a victim, whose identity is protected by a publication ban.

Judge Stephen Kelleher rendered his decision Monday and according to Alisia Adams, B.C. Prosecution Service spokeswoman, the man received one year for possessing child pornography, two years for making and publishing child pornography and three years for sexual assault, which will all be served consecutively.

The offender has been ordered not to have contact with the complainant during his sentence, Adams said.

RELATED: Nanaimo man pleads guilty to sex assault, child porn charges

At the February sentencing hearing, an agreed statement of facts was entered from Catherine Hagen, Crown counsel, and Cheyne Hodson, the offender’s legal counsel. It stated that the man had a significant amount of pornographic material, including close to 1,500 photographs and images, some involving young girls, on a laptop which was seized by police.

Hagen showed the court video from a cellphone depicting the guilty party performing sex acts with a minor.

Hagen said Crown sought a jail sentence of five to eight years. Citing a pre-sentence report, Hagen said the accused has a moderate to high risk of re-offending.

Adams said the offender will be ordered to provide a DNA sample and received a firearms prohibition and will be prohibited from attending certain locations.


Find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Businesses asked to join Parksville 75th Passport Program

City to hold birthday celebrations from June to August

Blues and jazz icons to play in Parksville

Diana Braithwaite and Chris Whiteley at Ground Zero

Oceanside Generals secure top spot in VIJHL’s North Division

Hockey side will face Kerry Park in first round of playoffs

Ballenas Whalers clinch Island high school girls hoop championship

Parksville squad advances to AAA provincials in Langley

Parksville chamber names finalists for annual business awards

Parksville-Qualicum Community Foundation to receive Community Spirt Award

Blair says RCMP have met Wet’suwet’en conditions, so barricades should come down

The Wet’suwet’en’s hereditary chiefs oppose the Coastal GasLink project

Federal minister pledges to meet Wet’suwet’en chiefs in B.C. over natural gas pipeline

The Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say they are visiting Mohawk territory

2010 leader John Furlong urges Vancouver to bid for 2030 Winter Games

VANOC said the 2010 games broke even financially

Pipeline dispute: Tories put no-confidence motion on House of Commons agenda

Conservatives say they have no confidence in the Trudeau government to end the rail blockades

Canadians aboard coronavirus-ridden cruise ship to return home tonight

Among the infected are 47 Canadians who will have to remain in Japan for treatment

Galchenyuk nets shootout winner as Wild edge Canucks 4-3

Vancouver tied with Calgary for second spot in NHL’s Pacific Division

A&W employees in Ladysmith get all-inclusive vacation for 10 years of service

Kelly Frenchy, Katherine Aleck, and Muriel Jack are headed on all-expenses-paid vacations

Five vehicles crash on the highway in Nanaimo, one rolls over

No one injured in collision Wednesday on Highway 19A near Norwell Drive and Jingle Pot Road

Most Read