The Parksville Fire Department is recruiting for 2022.
The department is looking for “positive, energetic and community minded women and men” to join their team of paid on-call firefighters. Recruit class begins in the spring and applications are now being accepted. Parksville Fire, a composite department of on-call and career firefighters, provides fire and rescue services for the Parksville fire protection area.
Parksville Fire has served the community since 1942, responding to emergencies 365 days a year.
Experience is not necessary, but applicants should have “a great attitude and willingness to face new challenges”.
The fire department will provide professional training and on-the-job experience.
The department also offers a junior program for those under the age of 19, introducing life as a member.
Candidates for paid on-call firefighters should be:
• 19 years of age or older (junior member – age 16).
• Healthy and physically fit (medical and fitness screening required).
• A non-smoker.
• Good driver (valid B.C. driver’s licence and good driving record).
• Of good character (RCMP security check required).
• Able to attend weekday evening training sessions and occasional weekend training.
• Live in the Parksville fire protection area (ideally within the City of Parksville boundaries).
• Daytime availability preferred.
To learn more about paid on-call firefighting and the steps in the selection process, those interested are asked to contact the fire department before completing an application. Most importantly, the department needs applicants to fully understand the commitment they ask of their firefighters.
Contact the fire station during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) to speak with an officer or arrange a tour.
All COVID-19 protocols are in effect and face masks are mandatory to enter the station.
The application closing date is Friday, March 4, at 4 p.m. Further details and applications can be found on the Parksville Fire Department’s website: www.parksvillefirerescue.ca.
– NEWS Staff, submitted