Stage 4 watering restrictions will be in place next week in Parksville for one-time work on the Englishman River Water Service project.
The Englishman River Water Service project, which is currently under construction, will supply bulk surface water from the Englishman River to residents of Parksville and the Nanoose Bay Peninsula Water Service Area year-round once completed. One-time essential work is required to tie in the new water transmission main to the reservoir at the Springwood water complex in Parksville. Work will commence on June 13, according to a news release from the city.
The City of Parksville and the Regional District of Nanaimo Nanoose Bay Peninsula Water Service Area will be reduced in water supply and storage capacity while this work is underway.
To allow for the work to take place, Stage 4 watering restrictions will be in force from: Wednesday, June 13, at 7 a.m. until Saturday, June 16, at 7 a.m.
During these three days, residents of Parksville and the Nanoose Bay Peninsula Water Service Area must comply with Stage 4 watering restrictions to reduce water consumption and curtail high-volume water uses. The system will remain operational during this period; however, reduced consumption is critical to ensure sufficient water for essential use, including firefighting. Restrictions during the Stage 4 comprehensive watering ban include:
• All lawn watering is prohibited, including newly seeded and sodded lawns.
• Watering of ornamental shrubs, flowers and trees is restricted to drip irrigation, hand-held container or hose equipped with a shut-off nozzle ONLY.
• All washing of vehicles, recreational vehicles and boats is banned.
• All washing of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots and exterior building services is banned
• Filling of swimming pools, wading pools, hot tubs and garden pond water features is banned.
• Vegetable gardens and fruit trees are exempt from all watering restrictions.
During business hours, concerns in the City of Parksville should be directed to the operations department at 250-248-5412 and in the Nanoose Bay Peninsula Water Service Area, calls should be directed to the RDN at 250-390-6560. For info on watering restrictions in the region, see rdn.bc.ca/watering-restriction-map.
— City of Parksville news release