Saanich police say a family they were working to locate is safe and the investigation is closed. (Courtesy of Saanich police)

Saanich police say a family they were working to locate is safe and the investigation is closed. (Courtesy of Saanich police)

UPDATED: Saanich police say ‘missing’ family is safe, investigation closed

Police were working to ‘ensure the safety of the children,’ officer says

Saanich Police say a family reported missing last month have been located safe.

On Sept. 12, the department asked for help locating Bradley Cook, Melissa Trost and their two children who they believed to be travelling in B.C. or Alberta. Police say they were seeking information on the family’s whereabouts in order to assess their well-being.

The family themselves responded to the plea, telling media they were not missing at all. Saanich Police confirmed, shortly after, that the family wasn’t missing but that police wanted to locate them to “ensure the safety of the children.”

Saanich Police now say the family has been located and all members are safe. Const. Markus Anastasiades, public information officer for the Saanich police, said the investigation is closed.

“Investigators have now concluded this investigation and no further information will be released at this time.”

***

(Original release)

Police have confirmed the Saanich family that they are trying to find after failing to return back in Victoria for more than a week is not missing.

On Saturday, Sept. 12, Saanich Police Department issued an alert about a family of four whose whereabouts were unknown.

According to police, Bradley Michael Cook, 42, Melissa Renee Trost, 40, and their two young children, ages 4 and 2, were believed to be travelling somewhere in eastern B.C. or Alberta. They’d planned to return to Victoria on Sept. 4 but have not been seen.

A television station in Edmonton had reported they received an email from a man claiming to be Cook, saying that they weren’t missing and the police knew it.

The Saanich family then reportedly sent two photos to the Edmonton television station, each with one parent holding both their kids with a hand-written note for confirmation.

In several emails to the television station, the man claims their family is in a legal dispute involving the Saanich police department.

On Sunday morning, Cook told the television station that their family was in Edmonton.

Sgt. Markus Anastasiades, Saanich police media communications officer, confirmed in an email Sunday that the detachment wasn’t available for comment, but will have further discussions with investigators Monday.

READ ALSO: MISSING: VicPD continue search for high-risk missing 18-year-old


@devonscarlett
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

devon.bidal@saanichnews.com

AlbertaBritish Columbiamissing personSaanich Police Department

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Qualicum Beach artist Deb Peters at the Gallery at the Qualicum Art Supply, Nov. 30 (Mandy Moraes photo)
Qualicum Beach painter Deb Peters discusses the power of art

‘If you’re given the ability to create something, you need to pass it on to people’

Homeless people in Parksville Qualicum Beach are without a designated cold-weather shelter. (PQB News file photo)
Qualicum Beach council looks to solve area’s cold-weather shelter problem

Harrison: ‘It’s likely that there will be a hard winter for a lot of folks’

(File art)
Qualicum school district looks to form climate action plan

‘We’re in the right place at the right time’

Mick Sherlock visits the PQB News/VI Free Daily studios. (Peter McCully photo)
PQBeat: Talking music with Billy Shakespeare’s Mick Sherlock

Podcast: Qualicum Beach musician came to area from Calgary

(Needpix.com)
Pandemic has ‘exacerbated’ concerns for B.C. children and youth with special needs: report

Pandemic worsened an already patchwork system, representative says

Janet Austin, the lieutenant-governor of British Columbia, not seen, swears in Premier John Horgan during a virtual swearing in ceremony in Victoria, Thursday, Nov. 26, 2020. Horgan says he will look to fill gaps in the federal government’s sick-pay benefits program aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. premier says province prepared to patch holes in new federal sick-pay benefits

Horgan said workers should not be denied pay when they are preventing COVID-19’s spread

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s coronavirus situation at the legislature, Nov. 30, 2020. (B.C. government)
Hockey team brought COVID-19 back from Alberta, B.C. doctor says

Dr. Bonnie Henry pleads for out-of-province travel to stop

Victoria’s Royal Jubilee Hospital took in two COVID-19 patients from Northern Health as part of a provincial agreement. (Black Press Media file photo)
Victoria hospital takes in two COVID-19 patients from Northern Health

Royal Jubilee Hospital takes patients as part of provincial transport network

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

B.C. Premier John Horgan on a conference call with religious leaders from his B.C. legislature office, Nov. 18, 2020, informing them in-person church services are off until further notice. (B.C. government)
B.C. tourism relief coming soon, Premier John Horgan says

Industry leaders to report on their urgent needs next week

Most Read