Provincial officials say emergency plan is in place

Contradictory comments from Emergency management B.C. and Qualicum Beach Coun. Bill Luchtmeijer

Emergency Management B.C. wants to assure people they do have a plan.

In response to recent quotes in The NEWS from Qualicum Beach Coun. Bill Luchtmeijer, spokesperson Andy Watson responded that “Emergency Management B.C. (EMBC) released the provincial government’s plan for a catastrophic earthquake earlier in 2015, with an exercise scheduled for June of 2016.”

He provided a link to the B.C. Earthquake Immediate Response Plan, available through www2.gov.bc.ca.

Watson added that the government has committed $1 million to the first ever provincially led, full-scale earthquake response exercise to test the plan next summer in Port Alberni.

“There are existing programs all over the place,” agreed Luchtmeijer. “There are a lot of small plans that ignore the necessity of working together when something happens.”

Luchtmeijer, the council protective services liaison had brought it up originally while reporting on a Union of B.C. Municipalities seminar that he said was the same as one he’d attended four years earlier. In his original report, Luchtmeijer had spoken of the need for a plan in clear simple language that everyone can quickly access. “The whole purpose of the B.C. Emergency Preparedness program is to pull those plans together so that everyone’s working together, that includes Washington State and the big players like BC Ferries and municipalities and regional districts, so it’s a big picture thing.”

He said four years ago “2014 was touted as the big roll out of the fully put together emergency plan for B.C. and that same discussion is still going except instead of 2014 it’s 2017.” He said the fact that EMBC recently hired 12 more people means “someone’s getting serious about it, which is a good thing.”

Just Posted

RCMP: No timeline for update on fatal hit-and-run in Parksville

Complexity of case a factor in length of the investigation

Parksville wants consultant to examine feasibility of rec centre

Strong demand from residents for a multi-sport facility

Developers withdraw rezoning application for huge Parksville waterfront plan

IAG to create new draft after processing public feedback

Parksville youngsters design problem-solving robot

Lego robotics team gearing up for gold in Victoria competition

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Legislature gifts, clothing, travel need better control, B.C. auditor says

Audit follows suspensions of managers by Speaker Darryl Plecas

‘Really disturbing:’ Trudeau’s racist photos worry B.C. First Nation chief

Wet’suwet’en Chief concerned the photos will sow fear in Indigenous communities

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Victoria police commandeer boats to reach screaming woman

No charges laid and civilians to be awarded honours after incident on Gorge Waterway

Island contestant competes on Great Canadian Baking Show

Andrea Nauta auditioned for the show before but was lucky second time around

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Most Read