This photo supplied by Ballenas Whalers alumni Tylor Blakeney allegedly shows Mission runner Jesse Walker's knee touching the ground in full view of an official during the game-ending play Saturday night at UBC.

‘Robbed’ — Ballenas Whalers alumni wants explanation from B.C. High School Football Association

Photo shows Mission runner was down on pivotal game-winning play Saturday night at UBC

Video evidence seems to confirm the Ballenas Whalers were robbed of a chance to play for the provincial championship this weekend at B.C. Place.

An alleged blown call by a referee in overtime on a snowy, cold field at UBC Saturday night allowed the Mission Secondary Roadrunners to advance to the provincial final this weekend, leaving the Whalers football team in disbelief, an emotion that turned to anger and sadness this week.

In a game for the ages, neither defence could stop the running of Ballenas star Coltin Laplante or Mission quarterback Jesse Walker. The provincial semifinal went to overtime tied 54-54, and Ballenas scored on its first possession (Laplante’s eighth touchdown of the day) and kicked a one-point convert. The Whalers then faced Walker and the Roadrunners, who were given a chance to match the Whalers’ major and extend the overtime.

Walker did just that, scoring a touchdown. Mission coach Danny Jacobs made a gutsy call, deciding to go for a two-point convert and the win. The game came down to this one play.

Video evidence seems to show Walker’s knee touched the ground in the slippery backfield on the two-point attempt, which should have ended the play and given the Whalers the victory and a berth in the B.C. final this weekend at B.C. Place against arch-rival Barsby of Nanaimo. But the play was not called dead, Walker continued his run to the end zone and Mission was credited with the victory.

A member of the Ballenas alumni the wants the B.C. High School Football Association to do something about this apparent injustice.

“Mission’s running back was clearly down and the ref (saw) it, as you can see, but they never called (Walker down) and they let them win,” Tylor Blakeney, a Whalers player in 2011, wrote in an e-mail to The NEWS in which he included a photo that shows Walker down in the backfield. “It’s a once-in-a lifetime opportunity for the Grade 12s and they were robbed of that chance.”

“We are trying to get the word out to change this ruling but the B.C. high school football association won’t answer our questions,” Blakeney continued. “We need help to get this out. It is not fair to the kids or the school and we want something done.”

Blakeney said in a phone interview he understands it’s unlikely the result of the game will be changed, but he said players, students and alumni believe they should get an apology from the association.

Attempts by The NEWS to reach directors of the B.C. High School Football Association (BCHSFA) on Tuesday morning through e-mail addresses supplied on the organization’s website were unsuccessful. The NEWS also tried to contact association past president Farhan Lalji (the TSN reporter) through his Twitter account, without success. The story had been viewed by thousands of people on our website and Facebook page by Wednesday afternoon but there was still no response from anyone from the BCHSFA by press time Wednesday.

Ballenas coach Jeremy Conn spoke to The NEWS on Monday.

“It’s haunting,” said Conn. “It’s a horrible way to end the season. It’s one of those things that’s going to stick. But it was an amazing season. These kids played well and I’m very proud of they effort they gave.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COVID-19: RDN utility bills in the mail, deadline extended

Residents given until Sept. 8 to settle accounts

RCMP arrest suspect after attempted break-and-enter in Parksville

Resident provides description, cops nab 46-year-old man

Perfect Storm Group pushes for community-owned and operated primary care facility

Seeks proposals for development of feasibility study for ’Oceanside Campus of Healthcare’

B.C. records four new COVID-19 cases, Abbotsford hospital outbreak cleared

Four senior home outbreaks also declared over, eight still active

Young killer whale untangles itself from trap line off Nanaimo shore

DFO marine mammal rescue unit arrived as whale broke free from prawn trap line

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Friendly Cove and Kyuquot will remain closed until further notice

Transition of other B.C. communities will be monitored before a decision to ease restrictions

RCMP, coroner investigate murder-suicide on Salt Spring Island

Two dead, police say there is no risk to the public

Gold River organizes a shop local initiative to creatively boost economy

Local purchases can earn shoppers $200 gift certificates to be spent on businesses within Gold River

About 30% of B.C. students return to schools as in-class teaching restarts amid pandemic

Education minister noted that in-class instruction remains optional

Trudeau avoids questions about anti-racism protesters dispersed for Trump photo-op

Prime minister says racism is an issue Canadians must tackle at home, too

Most Read