Janette Brown of Qualicum Beach enjoying a cross-country ski through Eaglecrest on Tuesday. - Scott Brown photo

Short break from snow, more on horizon for Parksville Qualicum Beach

Environment Canada predicts a 70 per cent chance of snowfall for Friday

Parksville Qualicum Beach residents get a break from the flurries on Wednesday after several days of intermittent snowfall.

The reprieve from the snow may be short-lived as Environment Canada calls for light snow for the region Thursday evening (Feb.14) and a 70 per cent chance of rain showers or flurries for Friday. The forecast predicts a 30 per cent chance of rain for Saturday, clearing in the evening and sun for Sunday. A chance of showers with cloudy periods is also predicted for Family Day (Feb. 18) with a high of 3 C.

RELATED: WATCH: Parksville senior on scooter, stuck in snow, gets a tow home

All schools in School District 69, with the exception of False Bay School on Lasqueti Island, were back open on Wednesday after two days of closures.

The white stuff caused cancellations for all Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) meetings scheduled for Feb. 12 which were rescheduled to Feb. 19. Curbside garbage and recycling collection was also cancelled Tuesday for all rural areas in the RDN.

Between 20 and 30 centimetres of snow fell in Parksville Qualicum Beach region through Tuesday.

RELATED: And the snowiest community on Vancouver Island is…

RELATED: Parksville Qualicum Beach drivers do better job of dealing with snowy road conditions

Chemainus reported the most snowfall for Vancouver Island communities, with 51 centimetres.

Drivers in the area seemed to be getting used to the poor or unpredictable road conditions as the Oceanside RCMP only responded to five vehicle incidents on Sunday, Feb. 10, much fewer than the 18 reports of motor vehicle incidents a week earlier.

The RCMP responded to six reported vehicle accidents on Monday, five on Tuesday and two as of 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

Just Posted

‘A really kind person’: Parksville’s Nick Major remembered by instructor

Outpouring of support in the days following death of young man

Banners could add pop of colour to Parksville business district

District includes businesses between the Orange Bridge and McVickers Street

Last call for the ever-vanishing payphone in Parksville Qualicum Beach

Where many phones once resided, only memories remain

Developers go back to drawing board after high-rise application deferred by Parksville council

IAG Developments has proposed a multi-building development on city’s waterfront

Rich the Vegan scoots across Canada for the animals

Rich Adams is riding his push scooter across Canada to bring awareness to the dog meat trade in Asia

Recall: Certain Pacific oysters may pose threat of paralytic shellfish poisoning

Consumers urged to either return affected packages or throw them out

How a Kamloops-born man helped put us on the moon

Jim Chamberlin did troubleshooting for the Apollo program, which led to its success

Sexual harassment complaints soaring amid ‘frat boy culture’ in Canada’s airline industry

‘It’s a #MeToo dumpster fire…and it’s exhausting for survivors’

How much do you know about the moon?

To mark the 50th anniversary of the first lunar landing, see how well you know space

Body, burning truck found near northern B.C. town

RCMP unsure if the two separate discoveries are related

Couple found dead along northern B.C. highway in double homicide

Woman from the U.S. and man from Australia found dead near Liard Hot Springs

UPDATE: West Kelowna fawn euthanized, not claimed by sanctuary

Gilbert the deer has been euthanized after a suitable home was not found in time

Nanaimo-Opoly will let board game players deal Harbour City properties

Victoria’s Outset Media and Walmart Canada partner on local edition of popular game

Most Read