Members of the 2014 graduating class of Kwalikum Secondary School last spring at the commencement ceremony.

Members of the 2014 graduating class of Kwalikum Secondary School last spring at the commencement ceremony.

THURSDAY SPOTLIGHT: The future of students in flux

Four elementary school closures and the ongoing teachers' strike are muddying the waters for parents with two weeks before start of school

With classes scheduled to start two weeks from today, teachers would normally be back in school preparing for the arrival of students.

But even aside from the provincial strike, this wouldn’t have been a normal year in School District 69 as teachers, staff and students shifted school locations in many cases, adjusting to the closure of four elementary schools over the summer.

“Most teachers say they need an absolute minimum of five days going in,” said Mount Arrowsmith Teachers’ Association president Debbie Morran.

She said a return-to-work plan is part of the negotiations on how to end the strike, explaining that it was already expected to be “a lot of work to start up a new school,” referring to the former middle schools which will become larger Kindergarten to Grade 7 elementary schools this fall.

Physically, the schools will be ready to go, assures superintendent Rollie Koop.

“We are feeling good about having made up ground, we did get back on track,” he said adding that the strike slowed work in the spring, but teachers stopped picketing in July to allow the reconfiguration work.

He said the plan was always to phase in the changes and some aesthetic changes may take longer than originally planned, but no health or safety issues will be delayed.

He gave the example of wanting washrooms in Kindergarten classes, but in some cases they may be across the hall for the first year.

“I’m really proud of our operations and maintenance staff and the work they did over the summer,” he said. “They went at it really hard.”

He said there will be financial implications for all the evening and weekend work that had to be done to complete their scheduled three and a half months’ work in a month and a half, but didn’t have numbers available.

As for the students, the year will start with the reconnect system as usual, in which students start their first day with their teacher from the previous year to do activities to introduce them to their new teachers, and in many cases new schools.

Morran said the original plan also allowed two days “to give teachers and staff time to meet and work together to establish school rules and culture.”

“It was going to be a difficult start up regardless and now that we’re into the eleventh hour (on negotiations), it will be very difficult,” she said.

“On the flip side it will be wonderful to have bigger schools, with more teachers and educational opportunities,” she said optimistically, but then added teachers are worried about class size and composition.

While negotiations between the B.C. Teachers’ Federation and the government’s B.C. Public School Employer’s Association have been back and forth on wages, coming within one percent, as Morran summed up, “the main sticking point is of course class size and composition.”

There was a lot of fanfare around star mediator Vince Ready’s entry into negotiations last week, but as part of his involvement, both sides agreed not to discuss progress publicly, leaving the entire province on edge as the school year nears.

“It’s been made very clear to us that the ministry (of education) expects that whenever there’s a resolution, we need to be ready to go right away, we’re not being given extra time,” Koop said.

He said that they are making provisions for things like keeping international students busy, explaining if they don’t have regular classes to attend the district will work with them and their home stay families to provide structure.

Meanwhile, Morran said pickets will go back up next week. The government has launched a new website (bcparentinfo.ca) to update the public on their side of the negotiations and explain how parents of students age 12 and under can access $40 a day towards daycare.

Daycare program

In the event that the strike continues, the Regional District of Nanaimo parks and recreation department will again offer their Big Adventure day camp at Oceanside Place. For $31.50 a day, students 12 and under can attend from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for games, arts and crafts, skating, trips to parks and more.

The pool and rink will have scheduled public swim and skate times. For more information, or to register visit www.rdn.bc.ca and click on Oceanside Place near the top, call 250-248-3252 or stop by the arena or Ravensong Aquatic Centre. Refunds will be given if the strike ends.

New schools

Students should report to their new school as determined by the reconfigured catchment areas — likely the nearest school to their home. Note that the names of the former middle schools have already been changed, the former names are used here:

• Former French Creek Community School students go to Errington or Qualicum Beach Middle School.

• Parksville Elementary English students go to Springwood Middle School, French immersion go to Oceanside Middle School.

• Qualicum Beach Elementary student go to Qualicum Beach Middle or Arrowview Elementary.

• Winchelsea Elementary students go to Springwood or Oceanside Middle School.

Just Posted

(File photo)
The Parksville Civic and Technology Centre at 100 Jensen Ave. (PQB News file photo)
Parksville 2020 annual report now ready for public feedback

Documents can be viewed online; comments or questions to be submitted before noon on July 5, 2021

FILE – Perry Bellegarde, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, takes part in an event on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, July 7, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Indigenous Peoples Day must be a ‘call to action’, says Assembly of First Nations chief

Discovery of children at Kamloops residential school site must lead to change, Perry Bellegarde says

A Lotto 6/49 ticket purchased in Parksville for the June 19, 2021 draw is a $3M winner. (Submitted photo)
Winning Lotto 6/49 ticket worth $3M purchased in Parksville

Lottery prize winners have 52 weeks to claim jackpot

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Golden Ears Mountains, captured in May 2021. (Black Press Media files)
2nd year of day passes required for entry into 5 provincial parks launches in B.C.

Pilot program seeks to protect the environment by addressing visitor surges amid the COVID-19 pandemic

Lincoln Mckoen. (YouTube)
Anglican bishop of the central Interior resigns over sexual misconduct allegations

Lincoln Mckoen was elected as a bishop of the Territory of the People region last year

The former Kamloops Indian Residential School on the Tk’emlups te Secwépemc reserve. (Allen Douglas/Kamloops This Week)
Tk’emlups preparing for archaeological work at B.C. residential school site where remains found

The 215 graves are, to the band’s knowledge, undocumented deaths for which it is still collecting records

Fans watch the warm-up before Game 6 between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens in NHL playoff hockey action Saturday, May 29, 2021 in Montreal. Quebec’s easing of COVID-19 restrictions will allow 2,500 fans to attend the game for the first time in fourteen months. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Two-thirds of Canadians say governments shouldn’t lift all COVID-19 restrictions

Poll reports Canadians who gained pandemic weight say they have gained 16 pounds on average

Paul Bernardo is shown in this courtroom sketch during Ontario court proceedings via video link in Napanee, Ont., on October 5, 2018. Teen killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo is set for a parole hearing today. The designated dangerous offender, has been eligible for full parole for more than three years. Bernardo’s horrific crimes in the 1980s and early 1990s include for kidnapping, torturing and killing Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy near St. Catharines, Ont. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Greg Banning
Killer rapist Paul Bernardo faces parole hearing today; victim families opposed

Designated dangerous offender has been eligible for full parole for more than three years.

People look over the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
One dead and extensive damage as tornado hits Mascouche, Que., north of Montreal

Damage reported in several parts of the city, and emergency teams dispatched to sectors hardest hit

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

Most Read