The Town of Qualicum Beach has amended its fire restrictions in light of the Coast Fire Centre’s recent lifting of burning activities starting Oct. 28.
The following amended restrictions are now in place in Qualicum Beach:
• Fireworks are permitted in the town for one day only on Oct. 31, within the limitations of Bylaw 611. Fireworks cannot be discharged in a public space and must be limited to private property only. Residents are asked to make fire safety a priority, keeping a clear distance from flammable items and ensuring a hose is close at hand. For more information on fireworks guidelines refer to the town’s website at qualicumbeach.civicweb.net/document/91.
• Garden refuse/agricultural clearing fire permits are available until Nov. 5. These permits are allowed for properties in the Agricultural Land Reserve, with a property size over one hectare. Applications are available on the town’s website. Other options to manage garden refuse include using the RDN Transfer Station located at 860 Church Rd., or using the town’s curbside chipping program.
• Campfires are permitted within the town boundaries if contained to an approved outdoor fireplace such as a fire ring, chiminea or fireplace. Residents are reminded to burn only clean, dry wood that does not emit any heavy smoke or odour. Refer to the town’s website for more information.
The Qualicum Beach Fire Department will be out on Oct. 31 in local neighbourhoods handing out candy, meeting children and keeping an eye on fire safety:
• 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Town Hall
• 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Beach Road & Fifth Street, Sumac Drive, Ormonde Road & Chartwell Boulevard
• 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Lower Canyon Crescent, Primrose Street & Saturna Drive, Royal Dornoch Drive & Fairways Drive.
To report a fire, please contact:
• Fire emergency – threat to lives and/or property: 911
• Beach fires – Conservation Officer Hotline: 1-877-952-7277
For further information on provincial wildfire activity, conditions and prohibitions, visit the Wildfire Management Branch website at bcwildfire.ca.
— NEWS Staff