Trailer destroyed in fire

Nobody was hurt in French Creek travel trailer blaze on Tuesday

A volunteer firefighter with the Parksville fire department inspects the burnt-out hulk of a travel trailer.

A volunteer firefighter with the Parksville fire department inspects the burnt-out hulk of a travel trailer.

No one was injured in a fire that destroyed a travel trailer at around 12 on Tuesday afternoon in French Creek.

The blaze, in the yard of a home on River Crescent, claimed a travel trailer. Parksville firefighters, ambulance crews and police responded to the fire, whose smoke could be seen from the city proper.

Witnesses described having heard several popping sounds. Police and fire officials confirmed they were concerned about the presence of propane tanks in the trailer.

Fire crews had the blaze under control quickly, keeping it away from nearby trees and structures.

Parksville fire Chief Doug Banks says he may never know the exact cause of the fire, as the damage to the trailer was extensive.

He said the owner had just turned on the propane tanks of the 30-year-old trailer and went inside his house to have lunch. The owner then reported hearing a whoosh of fire, which had quickly engulfed the trailer.

“There’s not a lot left to look at,” Banks said, adding the blaze could have been caused by a propane leak, but that’s his best guess without more to go on.