Two people beat up with baseball bats at Nanaimo park

Police looking for suspects who were seen in newer-model orange car

Police in Nanaimo are looking for two suspects of an assault of a man and woman by two men armed with baseball bats.

The alleged attack was reported at about 1 p.m. Saturday and happened near Diver Lake off of Labieux Road and resulted in both victims being hospitalized.

According to an RCMP press release, police were alerted to the altercation after the 39-year-old female victim went to a local business and told an employee that two unidentified men showed up at her tent and, without provocation, started striking her and her 51-year-old male friend with bats the suspects had brought with them.

The woman told police she did not recognize the suspects, who arrived in an orange newer-model car. The assault lasted several minutes before the suspects drove off in an unknown direction.

The victims were taken by ambulance to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries that were consistent with being struck by a large blunt object.

The suspects are described as Caucasians, 25 to 35 years old. One had dark hair and a goatee and was heavy set and wearing dark clothing. The second suspect was also heavy set with a dark beard and wore a bandana covering the lower half of his face.

Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, said it would be pure speculation on the part of police to guess at a motive for the attack.

“It appears that female, she’s of no fixed address, had been camping in that area for some time,” O’Brien said. “The male was visiting her at which point the two suspects arrived and proceeded to assault both of them.”

He said police do not believe the general public is at risk.

“There’s always a risk, when you have two people take it upon themselves to initiate an unprovoked assault with weapons,” O’Brien said. “Having said that, we don’t believe there’ll be any further incidents involving these two, but we are certainly actively pursuing leads to determine who these individuals are and why they did what they did.”

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com or call 1-800-222-8477.

RELATED: Crime incidents on the rise in Nanaimo



photos@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The Old Schoolhouse Arts Centre in Qualicum Beach to re-open on Aug. 11

Hours are Tuesday to Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

EDITORIAL: Real communication can solve problems

Neighbourhood dispute in Columbia Beach made headlines

COVID-19: SD69 working on how to organize schools for planned fall re-opening

Qualicum School District required to have plan to ministry by Aug. 26

RDN Transit requiring masks for most come end of month

Masks, hand sanitizer to be handed out in Regional District of Nanaimo mask policy campaign

Major injuries averted after three-vehicle crash in Nanoose Bay

Poor road conditions believed a factor in early-morning mishap

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

Walmart to make face masks mandatory for customers across Canada

Requirement goes into effect on Wednesday, Aug. 12 across Canada

Cowichan RCMP use spike belts to end car chase — man in custody

The driver was arrested at the scene a short distance from his vehicle

COVID-19 tests come back negative for remote First Nation

“There are no suspected cases in the community at this time.”

Canucks blank Wild 3-0, take series lead in penalty-filled NHL qualifying clash

Jacob Markstrom stops 27 shots to lead Vancouver past Minnesota

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Visitors and non-residents entering closed remote B.C. First Nation’s territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

Most Read