A fire broke out at 250 Terminal Ave., the site of a temporary supportive housing complex, at around 5:30 p.m. Monday. (NICHOLAS PESCOD/NEWS BULLETIN)

UPDATE: 20 people displaced by fire at Terminal supportive housing

Incident occurred at Newcastle Place at 5:20 p.m. Monday

A fire broke out at a temporary supportive housing site in the evening hours Monday.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at Newcastle Place temporary supportive housing site at 250 Terminal Ave. at approximately 5:20 p.m. Smoke could be seen coming from one of the buildings.

Residents were evacuated from the property. Both northbound lanes were blocked off on Terminal Avenue, with traffic detoured.

B.C. Ambulance Service was also on scene.

Karen Fry, Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said crews arrived on scene to find flames pouring out of one the site’s buildings.

“They arrived on scene to heavy flames showing from one unit, with smoke coming out of every opening,” she said. “From that point we started knocking the fire down from the outside.”

Fry said all of the site’s residents escaped without any injuries, but 20 residents will be displaced as a result of the fire. She said Island Crisis Care Soceity, the site’s operator, is looking for alternative accommodations for them.

Although the buildings had smoke alarms, they did not have a sprinkler system installed, according to Fry, who said it isn’t a requirement.

“B.C. Housing can kind of surpass some of the requirements because it’s a temporary location,” she said.

Fry said investigators are still working to determine the cause of the blaze. She also noted that while Island Crisis Care Society instructs residents that they are not allowed to cook or smoke inside the units, there have been issues in the past.

“We have noted deficiencies with that previously,” she said. “We are going to be working with B.C. Housing and Island Crisis Care Society to make the building as safe as possible,” she said.

The property is the site of an 80-unit temporary supportive housing complex that was erected late last year. The provincial government purchased the property last year for $2-million in an effort to provide housing for those living at an illegal homeless camp in downtown Nanaimo.







nicholas.pescod@nanaimobulletin.com 
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram

 

Just Posted

Suspect arrested following gunpoint robbery in Qualicum Beach

Stop and Shop Grocery was robbed June 5; man now in custody

Parksville Qualicum Beach region moves to elevated Stage 3 watering restrictions

City, regional district ask residents to conserve water

VIDEO: First Nations, developer call for return and protection of sacred B.C. burial site

Dozens of First Nations leaders gather on grassy plateau to call on action by provincial government

B.C. woman fighting to block coroner’s report detailing husband’s death

Fears revealing exactly how Ben Kilmer took his life will have traumatic effect on her two children

Cyclists competing in one of the toughest bike races on the planet pass through Fernie

Divide riders looking strong as they finish first leg of 4160 km race

You might not know these B.C. records are public

Hired a lawyer to file a civil claim? Those are published online

Teen stabbed after end-of-night limo dispute in downtown Vancouver

A young man, 19, is in serious condition following a dispute between two groups

B.C. bus driver loses case to get job back after texting while driving full bus

An arbitator ruled that Tim Wesman’s phone usage was a “a reckless disregard for public safety”

Revamped B.C. Lions set to battle veteran Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Lions’ first test of the season will be a big one

No business case for Trans Mountain expansion, says former environment minister

Cabinet is expected to announce its decision on the expansion of the Alberta-to-B.C. pipeline by Tuesday

LETTER: British Columbia’s forest industry crisis being made worse

Andrew Wilkinson warns of regulatory overload by John Horgan’s NDP

Most Read