Bulbs no bargain

Energy-saving bulbs save a whole lot less than one might think

I have a concern with the apparent phasing out of the incandescent light bulb.

A regular 60 watt bulb costs about $0.50, sometimes even less. An LED bulb giving the same level of illumination will cost at least $19.99 — 40 times as much.

Knowing that the energy required to manufacture a product is proportional to its price, it is safe to say that an LED bulb has a far larger carbon footprint than its incandescent counterpart before it is turned on. Of course we are told that once the LED light is installed its benefits start to take effect, notably much lower running costs and a much greater life.

Does anyone question when lights are used in their home? In my house it is usually in the evening and mostly in the winter time when my heating is on at the same time.

Although only 10 per cent of the energy used by an incandescent bulb goes to producing light, the rest is not wasted as we are led to believe. The other 90 per cent produces heat (however insignificant) and goes towards heating our homes. The result is that not one iota of energy is wasted by an incandescent bulb during the times of highest use.

If you are not convinced and still must have LEDs, please consider how much time some of your light fittings are actually used. The lights that I have in my guest bedroom for example, are used less than 10 hours per year.

It would take over 400 years to recoup the extra cost of an LED light, and that is assuming that all the energy used by a conventional light bulb was wasted, which I have shown is not the case.

Let there be light and an even greener world.

Edward A. Mott

 

Parksville

 

 

Just Posted

Coombs farm auction returns April 28

CFI hosts 41st annual auction

Ballenas grad to perform opera and art songs in Parksville to fund Prague trip

UBC music student Juliana Cook was asked to study and sing in the Czech Republic

Qualicum Beach versus Parksville – who wins?

Councils could take part in first-ever lawn bowling challenge

Ravensong Waterdancers to get you in sync

Teams will perform 12 routines at watershow on April 28

Homeless activists outside Notre Dame demand ‘a roof too’

Wealthy people have donated millions to effort to rebuild cathedral after devastating fire

Sri Lanka invokes war-time military powers after nearly 300 killed in Easter bombings

Sri Lanka’s minister of tourism says 39 foreign tourists were killed in the Easter Sunday attacks

Man’s body found in popular Cowichan Valley hiking area

Police say death not suspicious after discovery in Stoney Hill area overlooking Saltspring Island

Multiple sailing waits as BC Ferries deals with Easter Monday traffic

89 extra sailings had been added to the long weekend schedule

Vancouver Island-based company provides glass alternatives to plastic straws

Enviro Glass Straws now producing more than 60,000 staws each year

Ex-mayor of northern village claims its drivers are overpaying ICBC $1,800 a year

Darcy Repen says data shows Telkwa households are being ripped off for car insurance

Deadly synthetic drug found in Kamloops that puts users in ‘zombielike’ state

Interior Health warning says substance causes ‘speedy, trippy-like symptoms’ and hallucinations

Trudeau to be portrayed on ‘Simpsons’ episode

Toronto journalist who’s posted videos of himself doing impressions of the PM voiced him for the show

Elizabeth May’s wedding dress a ‘walk through a garden’ on Earth Day

Green Party leader set to get married in Victoria

Most Read