What could the proposed regional water governance model mean for Qualicum Beach?
The concept was introduced by Regional District of Nanaimo CAO Paul Thorkelsson in September. Similar concepts are in operation back east.
Possible consequences for Qualicum Beach include:
• Developing of water rates at the price level set by the RDN.
• Losing boundaries on all areas within the concept partners.
• Losing ownership and operation of our own wells, including back-up facilities and recharge areas.
• Securing water for our future is no longer Qualicum Beach’s decision.
• Future relevant implementations are carried out by the RDN only.
In other words, Qualicum Beach gets railroaded if we, the people, don’t speak up and protest against this bullying by proponents of the regional water governance model.
It is well known that the already existing operations under such a constructed model, which created a high water-rate, was leading to great dissatisfaction by the people.
Our Mayor Teunis Westbroek made it clear to Thorkelsson that Qualicum Beach is not interested in this.
Our part as residents of Qualicum Beach will be to object in entertaining any ideas in supporting the RDN with this model venture.
After living here over 22 years Qualicum Beach has demonstrated how to control and manage growth in connection with water consumption in a very balanced and responsible way.
Therefore, we the people of Qualicum Beach, should offer our full support to the mayor and the members of council who respect the wishes of our community.