The Parksville Lawn Bowling Club held its annual wind-up banquet last week with a great meal and lots of smiling faces.
The club, one of the largest on the Island, has a long history of being a strong, competitive club with great coaching and greens, as well as a warm and welcoming attitude.
“We’re done with the outside activities for now as greens have been put to bed,” club spokesperson Carol Bucyk said. “They’ve been aerated, sanded and all that other good stuff, and all of it done with volunteer labour from our club.”
Now the public is invited to check out their indoor activities.
We have mahjong at 7 p.m. Mondays, bring your set if you have one. Crib, with boards supplied, Wednesdays at 1 p.m. Individual bridge play on Thursday at 1 p.m.
“There are nominal fees to help pay the utilities and some other necessary winter expenses, but it really is a great way to meet others in the community and to get rid of those soggy winter blues,” Bucyk said. “Come on down and you’ll see that we’re so much more than lawn bowling.”
The club is at 149 E. Stanford, across from Parksville Elementary, behind Stanford Place. Check out parksvillelawnbowlingclub.com.
— Submitted by Carol Bucyk
• Mixed Triples Trophy League: Team of Olav Skjelbred, Gord Campbell and Olga Quinlan
• Mixed Pairs Trophy League: Geoff and Anne Holland
• Club Mixed Pairs Tournament: Mick Banks, Lennie Jarrett
• Club Mixed Triples Tournament: Stu MacNaughton, Frankie Stemler and Jerry Blumfald
• Men’s Novice Singles: Barry Conn
• Women’s Novice Singles: Merry Danarti
• Club Men’s Singles: Rick Dolley
• Club Ladies Singles: Jan MacNaughton
•Club Ladies Triples: Sandi Mitchell, Bev Beath and Janie Worel
• Club Men’s Singles: John Schofield. David Croot and Larry Lirette
• MacNaughton Ladies Pairs: Sandi Mitchell and Jan MacNaughton
MacNaughton Men’s Pairs: Rick Dolley and Keith Baker
• 70+ League: Anita Wood
• Ladies Legue: Anita Wood
• Men’s League: Dave Cole
• Club Mixed Fours: Alan Brunskill, Ruby Bishop Ryan, Tex Gooding and Carolyn Russell
• Jack & Jill: Kate Wilson and Keith Baker