Parksville’s Melissa MacRae placed second overall among women and helped Sunset Lanes to a runner-up finish in the 2016 Vancouver Island five-pin bowling championships, held at Nanaimo’s Brechin Lanes March 18-20.
Shawn Newall and Mike Russell both posted top-five finishes in men’s singles play to lead the Sunset Lanes squad in the championships, which drew bowlers from eight teams representing seven clubs across the Island.
MacRae rolled a four-game average of 237 in ladies singles competition to place third behind Morgan Theedom of Brechin (253) and runner-up Donna Costin of Miracle Lanes of Sidney, who was just one pin ahead at 238.
Combined with her showing in the ladies and mixed team events, MacRae netted an aggregate average of 235.4 pins, trailing only Theedom (246.7) in the ladies all-star standings. MacRae also joined Theedom as the only bowlers to roll a pair of 300 games (307, 305) on the weekend.
Newall also cracked the high single game leaderboard on the men’s side with a 353 game that ranked as third-highest for the tourney.
In the hotly contested men’s singles event, Newall averaged 248 pins to place third, just nine pins behind winner Duane Plested of Brechin (250 average) and four behind runner-up Larry Cross of Rainbow Lanes (249). Russell added a fifth-place showing with a 245 average.
The annual championship drew two teams from the host Brechin Lanes, Duncan Lanes, Codes Country Lanes of Courtenay, Rainbow Lanes of Port Alberni and North Island Lanes of Port Hardy.
Host Brechin’s number one team dominated the overall results, with wins in the mens and ladies singles and team competition. Duncan Lanes claimed the mixed team competition, with Brechin second and Sunset third with the team of MacRae, Newall, Tony Bradley, Linda Raymond, Terry Envoy and Gloria Russell.
In the ladies team event, MacRae, Raymond, Gloria Russell, Jacqui Bradley, Ricki Kelsall and Alice Hay combined placed second behind Brechin with 4,940 total pins.
In the men’s team competition, Sunset’s group of Newall, Mike Russell, Envoy, Tony Bradley and Andrew Stubbings finished fifth.
Vancouver Island 5-pin Bowling ChampionshipsAt Brechin Lanes, NanaimoMarch 18-20
LADIES SINGLES (four game avg.)
1. Morgan Theedon, Brechin1, 253; 2. Donna Costin, Miracle, 238; 3. Melissa Macrae, Sunset, 237; 4. Kim Sundin, Brechin2, 236; 5. Carla Reusch, North Island, 228. Other Sunset finishers: 18. Jacqui Bradley, 198; 22. Alice Hay, 188; 27. Ricki Kelsall, 182.
1. Duane Plested, Brechin1, 250; 2. Larry Cross, Rainbow, 249; 3. Shawn Newall, Sunset, 248; 4. Don Campbell, Brechin1, 245; 5. Mike Russell, Sunset, 245. Other Sunset finishers: 24. Andrew Stubbings, 191; 29. Don Black, 176.
1. Duncan, 5467 pins; 2. Brechin1, 5234; 3. Sunset (Shawn Newall, Melissa MacRae, Tony Bradley, Linda Raymond, Terry Envoy, Gloria Russell), 5200; 4. Miracle, 5171; 5. Codes Country, 5157.
1. Brechin1, 5126 pins; 2. Sunset (Melissa MacRae, Linda Raymond, Gloria Russell, Jacqui Bradley, Ricki Kelsall, Alice Hay), 4940; 3. Rainbow, 4915; 4. Duncan, 4880; 5. Miracle, 4848.
1. Brechin1, 5635; 2. Duncan, 5486; 3. Codes Country, 5341; 4. Miracle, 5072; 5. Sunset (Shawn Newall, Tony Bradley, Terryt Evoy, Mike Russell, Andrew Stubbings), 5025.
LADIES ALL-STARS (aggregate average)
1. Morgan Theedon, Brechin1, 246.7; 2. Melissa McRae, Sunset, 235.4; 3. Kim Sundin, Brechin2, 226.6.
1. Vern Greenhill, Codes Country, 257.2; 2. Justin Therrien, Duncan, 255.3; 3. Don Campbell, Brechin1, 250.5.
Ladies: 1. Janet Lynch, Miracle, 360; 2. Christina Whitefield, Duncan, 318; 3. Donna Hedley, Rainbow, 314; 4. Morgan Theedom, Brechin1, 312/303; 5. Melissa McRae, Sunset, 307/305.
Men: 1. Don Campbell, Brechin1, 385; Vern Greenhill, Codes Country, 363/302; 3. Shawn Newall, Sunset, 353; 4. John Walker, Brechin2, 350/309; 5. Kevin Miller, Duncan, 338.