After five days of one-act plays, the winners have been announced.
It was a bumper-crop year for the Vancouver Island One-Act Play Festival, which took place from Wednesday, Nov. 1 to Sunday, Nov. 5 at the Village Theatre in Qualicum Beach.
With performances from schools, dramatic societies, Qualicum Beach’s own the ECHO Players and more, the decisions from judges Robb Mowbray and Nicola Cavendish are in:
• Best Ensemble: Emotional Baggage, the Nanaimo District Secondary School.
• Best Supporting Actor: Gerry Fraser, Is It Lunch Yet?, The Geri-Actor Players.
• Best Supporting Female Actor: Cindy Nadine Solda, The Actor’s Nightmare, Portal Players Dramatic Society.
• Best Male Actors: Barry Baker and Ted Girard, Rappapport Revisited, Short Circuit Theatre; and Ross Stephanson and Tony Arnold, One Strike, Two Brothers, Theatre Works for Performing Arts.
• Certificates for promising actors: Michael Standley, Sister Mary Ignatius Exclaims It All For You, ; Julie Robertson and AJ Deveaux’ Godenez, One Strike, Two Brothers; and Imogen Brown, Pink.
• Best Original Script: One Strike, Two Brothers, Kymme Patrick.
• Best Director: Jennifer Kelly, Pink, ECHO Players.
• Best Play: The Actor’s Nightmare, Portal Players Dramatic Society.
—The NEWS, submitted by