What’s a summer festival without music?
Good thing Parksville’s Beachfest organizers know a thing or two about bringing a stellar concert lineup to the Outdoor Theatre in Parksville Community Park!
Building on last year’s celebrated launch of the new outdoor theatre, this year features three not-to-be-missed musical showcases, scheduled in and around the sandcastle sculpture, artisan market and other festival activities.
“People just loved the music last year at the new theatre – we had rave reviews from the bands and our audiences about the setting and especially the sound,” says Beachfest entertainment director Lloyd Derry.
HEAR MORE: Beachfest President Cheryl Dill and entertainment director Lloyd Derry talk about the lineup for the summer ‘Tim Horton’s Concert Series’ and the ‘Rock the Park’ event in Parksville.
1. Tim Hortons Free Summer Concert Series
Featuring eight concerts on Friday and Saturday nights, the popular performances take the stage from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- July 21 – Ryder Bachman, with country, blues, classic rock, funk, R&B and jazz
- July 22 – The Soul Shakers, performing soul, Motown and R&B
- July 28 – Whitey Somers Band, singing roots, blues and other grooves
- July 29 – The Shineolas, with the Spit Shine Orchestra, performing Texas swing, roots, country, blues, bluegrass and more
- Aug. 4 – Boondock, performing country rock
- Aug. 5 – Sarah Smith, featuring raw Canadian roots rock
- Aug. 18 – Sing with Sylvia and friends, and Glen Foster Group, with popular dance music
- Aug. 19 – Time Well Wasted, a returning favourite bringing a 12-piece band for funk, soul, rock and R&B.
2. Mid-Island Co-op ‘Rock the Park’ Music Festival
Bringing the music Aug. 11 to 13, the three-day ticketed ‘Rock the Park’ Music Festival is packed full of world-class tribute bands, sharing the music of Santana, Neil Diamond, Fleetwood Mac, Joe Cocker, ABBA, David Bowie and more, alongside perennial audience favourites like Big Awesome, Rock of Ages and rising country-rock sensation Garret Gregory.
Check out World Elvis Champion Darren Lee and the Memphis Flash, along with must-see returning performers Eagle Eyes, closing the festival Aug. 13 with their sensational Eagles tribute.
If you never had the chance to see the performers live – or you did, and you want to relive the magic – the festival will be a highlight of your summer calendar.
Tickets are available by day ($40) or the full weekend ($75) with wristbands allowing in-and-out privileges. Food trucks will be back, along with ice cream from Mid-Island Co-op and a beverage garden and food from Victoria’s Collective Wine Bar.
Also new this year is a soft, spacious grass area – dancing fully encouraged!
3. REALTORS at RE/MAX Parksville-Qualicum ‘Symphony by the Sea’
As a special treat to close out this year’s Beachfest, the Vancouver Island Symphony presents Symphony by the Sea Aug. 20, a pops show of lighter symphonic favourites by Strauss, Brahms, Rossini, Verdi, John Williams and Henry Mancini.
A full orchestra, performing live at the Parksville Outdoor Theatre promises to be a festival finale you won’t want to miss! Tickets are $40/adult, $10/students (13 to 18) and free for children 12 and younger accompanied by an adult.
Get your tickets today
Purchase your tickets for Rock the Park or Symphony by the Sea online at shop.mcmillanartscentre.com/collections/box-office, or in person at the McMillan Arts Centre (MAC) – 133 McMillan St. in Parksville, Tuesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Plan your full Beachfest itinerary at parksvillebeachfest.ca