A chimney was the only thing to survive a house fire in Errington on Sunday night along Middlegate Road.

A chimney was the only thing to survive a house fire in Errington on Sunday night along Middlegate Road.

Burned house in Errington a ‘write-off’

The fire is not believed to be suspicious at this time, but it’s still under investigation

Nobody was injured in a house fire along Middlegate Road that reduced a residence to a single, desolate chimney Sunday evening, according to Troy Bater, fire chief of the Errington Volunteer Fire Department (EVFD).

“The home was totally involved by the time we got there,” Bater told The NEWS Tuesday morning.

He said the EVFD was paged out at 5:30 p.m.

Bater said “nobody was living in the residence at the time” of the fire Sunday night.

He said the home was not insured and the fire is not believed to be suspicious at this time but it’s still under investigation.

While there were no reported injuries, Bater called the home “a write-off.”

He said 30 fire fighters attended the scene, including members from three additional fire departments: Parksville Volunteer Fire Department, Dashwood Volunteer Fire Department and Coombs-Hilliers Volunteer Fire Department.

Bater thanked the local residents for their patience as the surrounding streets were shut down for approximately an hour while members got the fire under control. He said fire fighters were on scene for eight hours in total.