The City of Parksville recently asked residents to participate in a survey to help improve the processes following the 2022 Parksville local government election.
The survey, which was open for three weeks, received a response from 67 residents, according to a news release from the city.
“With the election behind us, it is important we continue to improve the voting experience at future local government elections,” the release read.
Here is what the city heard:
• 88 per cent of respondents voted in the October election in Parksville;
• 95.5 per cent were extremely or moderately aware of the voting day date and 85 per cent were extremely or moderately aware of advance voting dates;
• Residents were confident they were aware of their voting options, knew what they needed to do to vote and how the electoral process works;
• 70 per cent were satisfied with how the election was administered, with 10 per cent dissatisfied;
• 80 per cent and 85 per cent of respondents indicated it was easy to locate voting location, the location was accessible and voting was easy;
• 83 per cent to 94 per cent agreed election staff were knowledgeable, friendly, accommodating, efficient and respectful
• 26 per cent would like to see more advance voting dates, 34 per cent would like to see more accommodation for seniors and people with disabilities and 38 per cent wished for other voting options such as mail-in or online ballots;
“We appreciate the input and comments from residents about how the election process could be improved,” the release read. “And these comments will be considered prior to the next general election in 2026.”
— NEWS Staff, submitted