Kevin Lillingston, fire prevention officer with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, investigates the scene of a house fire Saturday at Rovere Place. (GREG SAKAKI/The News Bulletin)

House fire blamed on spontaneous combustion

Rags and foam brushes saturated with wood stain caused the early-morning fire Saturday in Nanaimo.

The fire that destroyed a north-end home was sparked by spontaneous combustion, say firefighters.

Rags and foam brushes saturated with wood stain caused the early-morning fire Saturday at a house on Rovere Place, according to Kevin Lillingston, fire prevention officer with Nanaimo Fire Rescue.

Lillingston said in an e-mail that the brush and rags were improperly disposed.

“The items were placed in a plastic garbage can which was located in a workshop in the home,” he said. “After a period of 12-14 hours, spontaneous ignition leading to combustion occurred in the garbage can.”

Rags soaked with wood stain also started a shed fire in Nanaimo last month.

Just Posted

Qualicum Beach makes list of top places to visit in 2018

Expedia Canada surveyed 1,000 Canadians for the list

UPDATE: Power restored to most of Parksville Qualicum Beach

Earlier windstorm resulted in nearly 4,000 customers without power Wednesday morning

SOGI rally disrupts school board meeting, but business carries on

Chilliwack school board makes statement in support of B.C.-wide gender identity teaching resource

Parksville council backs away from tree-free bylaw

Motion to postpone vote on subdivision bylaw passes unanimously

Mayor: cities need more financial flexibility

Lefebvre tells Chamber audience British North America Act of 1867 is ‘archaic’

Solitary-confinement veto a chance to address mental health: advocate

B.C. Supreme Court made the landmark ruling Wednesday

Winter storm coming to B.C. this weekend

The bets are on as to how much snow the province will actually get in the coming days

B.C. civil rights group files complaint about RCMP arrest of man who later died

Dale Culver, a 35-year-old Indigenous man was arrested in Prince George last July

Lawyer says former B.C. government aide ‘barely guilty’ in ethnic vote scandal

Brian Bonney pleaded guilty to a breach of trust charge

Quite a few tears as homemade quilts distributed to residents of Ashcroft Reserve, Boston Flats affected by last summer’s fire

Quilters in B.C. and Alberta worked through the summer and fall to create more than 100 quilts.

UPDATE: Police continue to seek missing Qualicum Beach woman

Oceanside RCMP requesting public assistance in locating Carmel Georgina Gilmour

Ballenas 3rd, KSS 4th in Totem tourney

Senior girls basketball teams each finish 2-1 in 63rd year of tournament

Did you get Hitched in Courtenay on Sunday?

The first annual wedding show saw big crowds and included two fashion shows

Most Read